Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I can't eat a whole MH meal either. But just because of the taste. When I was using comercial BP meals , I always repackaged in ziplocks to save space, weight and trash. Search some backpacking forums and you will be amazed at the variety of food available that is actually tastes good and is lighter and less bulky. Try www.trailcooking.com
    Last edited by 87TT; 09-09-2013 at 06:33 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Just split them in half into freezer Ziploc bags, you can either cook them in there or save 1 mountain house bag to cook them all in. Less space, less weight and less $$ than having them do it for you I'm sure.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 18 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnBoy View Post
    Just split them in half into freezer Ziploc bags, you can either cook them in there or save 1 mountain house bag to cook them all in. Less space, less weight and less $$ than having them do it for you I'm sure.
    I do the same. works well.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftalonID View Post
    People would buy them like Sitka gear. Haha.
    (Making fun of those willing to pay $500 for a jacket that cost $13 to make).

Market the idea to them, but I would expect to see a higher price for them if they do. Hopefully not though, as I see this as a benefit for those of us who arent into the extra large size meals.
    Don't bash it until you try it. It's true there is a pretty big mark up, but I am going to say about 50% not 97%.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 18 Times in 3 Posts
    Hey now I like Sitka gear !!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I just checked with them again over the phone and the lady said they can't do it, they can't can't even vacuum pack regular sized meals that they already have.

I know I can break them apart and seal them here, but it takes more time, mess, breaks the seal, so I have to use them pretty much right away, etc, etc.

Oh well, vacuum sealer it is.
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.
    From the Zen Backpacking Site

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by 87TT View Post
    I can't eat a whole MH meal either. But just because of the taste. When I was using comercial BP meals , I always repackaged in siplocks to save space, weight and trash. Search dome backpacking forums and you will be amazed at the variety of food available that is actually tastes good and is lighter and less bulky. Try www.trailcooking.com
    I was at REI a couple of weeks ago and finally figured out what TVP was - textured vegetable protein, i.e., fake hamburger.
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.
    From the Zen Backpacking Site

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by JMSZ View Post
    I just checked with them again over the phone and the lady said they can't do it, they can't can't even vacuum pack regular sized meals that they already have.

I know I can break them apart and seal them here, but it takes more time, mess, breaks the seal, so I have to use them pretty much right away, etc, etc.

Oh well, vacuum sealer it is.
    I to have issues with way too much food in a 2 serving meal. I usually stock up on meals when I find them on clearance or on sale. Then you usually dont have much of a choice on flavors and sizes when there on clearance. Here is a thought ..your saying all the trouble vacuum sealing etc... You could always keep the 2-serving in its original package. When your ready to eat this is when you split the meal into half portions. Have your other zip lock bag... pre pare your meal in the zip lock bag. Then you can seal up the original package. Cut down on your use of water for meal and less bulk in your pack! I will be doing this! i didn't think of this until I read every ones ideas and thoughts. Thank you!
    Dan

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by jarheadhunter View Post
    Don't bash it until you try it. It's true there is a pretty big mark up, but I am going to say about 50% not 97%.
    My Brother in law is a VP of marketing for a major soft good distribution center. I have seen the price a company pays for items. Makes me sick. Those $10 kmart tshirts.....cost a company about .80 each. Those $60 name brand shirts run a company $1.20 - $1.60 a piece.

Say an cheap hoodie that shrinks looking at it under a light bulb? $1.50
    the really nice ones.. Say a North Face? $6.00

Soft goods markup is insane!!!! Especially if your in it bulk.

I have seriously looked into making a line of clothes that are purposefully PIC. (Politically Incorrect ). I Just never have yet pull the trigger on an initial order to get started.
    I hunt because......

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I used MH meals for first time last season and choose meals that I can eat cold (pastas) or warmed up for breakfast. Usually, I am able to eat the whole meal. When I can't it's usually one that I put on tortillas like the breakfast skillet...

I have a foodsaver vacuum kit and given what folks recommended here, believe I'll try breaking them up and sealing them myself.

What they need to do is make a larger variety of bulk meal boxes. You can get 10 or 12 meals in a box at Costco but I only like half of them.
    Heli M Lost / Heli M Tactical
    Spot Hogg-It 7 Pin / Spot Hogg Hunter 3 or 5 pin
    B-Stinger Hunter Extreme Lost / Black
    QAD XD Lost / Black
    Carbon Express Aramid KV 350 / Blue Streak Select 350