Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 15 Times in 3 Posts

Hello!

Hey Fellow hunters- New to the site and just wanted to say hey and thanks for everyone's shared wisdom on here! Im from Ohio and planning my first trip west for this fall. the wife gave me the ok to go wherever I want hunting this fall before we start having kids. Im having a blast just planning the hunt! I cant wait to get going!

Any advice anyone has would be much appreciated but I've learned a lot from just reading other posts!

Thanks and Happy Hunting!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GOSHENGRUNTER View Post
    Hey Fellow hunters- New to the site and just wanted to say hey and thanks for everyone's shared wisdom on here! Im from Ohio and planning my first trip west for this fall. the wife gave me the ok to go wherever I want hunting this fall before we start having kids. Im having a blast just planning the hunt! I cant wait to get going!

Any advice anyone has would be much appreciated but I've learned a lot from just reading other posts!

Thanks and Happy Hunting!
    Don't have kids. You are welcome . . .

Couldn't resist . . .

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 42 Times in 6 Posts
    Welcome to the forum
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by HiMtnHnter View Post
    Don't have kids. You are welcome . . .

Couldn't resist . . .

if I don't have kids who will drag my deer out when im old an cripple!?

lol- if I had a dime for everyone who has said that, I could actually afford a kid!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by GOSHENGRUNTER View Post
    if I don't have kids who will drag my deer out when im old an cripple!?

lol- if I had a dime for everyone who has said that, I could actually afford a kid!
    I have 3 who are up and coming . . . What kind of hunt are you looking for? Any points? Archery or Rifle?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Yes we need specifics!
    "Only two people have died for You and I, The American Soldier died for Our Freedom & Jesus Christ Died for Our Souls!" I thank GOD for them! GOD BLESS AMERICA!

NRA Life Member

Thanks
    Congratulations
    DIY antelope on public or pay a trespass. I have group of three. one guy has two points he said he'd split. Not looking for a trophy but id like a buck and a doe or two. time isn't really an issue. planning 5 hunting days minimum. first time out west but i've hunted several states and did a PH apprenticeship in Africa and new Zealand. I love learning to hunt how the locals hunt wherever I go.

Im looking at rifle hunting but wouldn't be opposed to archery if I had the right spot. ill prolly be packing my bow. Honestly I was hoping to take the trip alone but I couldn't tell my buddies no!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You can DIY antelope in Wyoming. Look at the units in Thunder Basin Grasslands, lots of tags, easy draw, plenty of goats. You don't need to hire a guide or pay a trespass fee.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 1 Post
    Yep, that's where I'd go if I just wanted to hunt. With 2 points spread between the three of you (if you applied together to guarantee hunting together), you'd basically be a zero anyway. If you do decide to hunt speed goats in WY, beware of the units that are a 100% draw year in and year out. They are that way because most of the land is locked up in private, and you'll likely have to pay a trespass fee to get on. Look for a unit with decent public access and draw odds, then make sure that you have a GPS with a WY hunting chip installed. That little piece of equipment will be invaluable in making sure you know where you are, where you can hunt, and where you can't.

One other tidbit of advice - once you hunt antelope, you'll be hooked. I'd put in for a really hard unit to draw as first choice and then an easy draw unit for my second choice. That way, when you draw your second choice, you're hunting AND earn a point in the process for future hunts. You'll want those points because after hunting antelope, you WILL be coming back!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Actually saying they'd be zero anway by sharing those two PPs is not correct since anything they have would draw before anything lower like those with 0 PPs.