Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SDbowhunter View Post
    Harding County has the biggest Antelope in the state as well
    I hunt in Northern Butte Co./Southern Harding Co. for archery antelope. It seems that the antelope numbers have been the highest there in the state the past couple years. How do the numbers and size of antelope vary across the whole county of Harding? I have never hunting up further north or west. Thanks.

P.S. Sorry for talking antelope in the mule deer thread...promise I won't go too far with this topic.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If you go to South Dakota Game Fish and Parks, they put out an antelope map of the state each year showing what parts of the state hold the most concentrated numbers of antelope. Harding was solid last year as well as Meade. There was a big die off from the winter last year. We saw 3 or 4 differnt bucks up around 80" but after that hard winter, for whatever reason the old mature bucks died. This year there were mostly 2-3 year old bucks.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    They most likely don't get the age required to put on the mass. I shot a 160 with my bow 2 years ago....great tine length but no mass (no age). In a year or two he would have been a stud but there's no way he would have made it another year. Too much hunting pressure for a deer like that to get passed up. Esp. being in an area where he's easy to find. I'm guessing you've got a similar situation there. Those 150s and 60s you talk about would turn into absolute studs if they just had another 2 or 3 years to blow up.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I agree, way to much hunting pressure, to many people have a hard time waiting another year for that buck to grow up. I think mainly because they think their neighbor is gonna shoot it, to bad to because there is a lot of potential.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Great buck!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I spend alot of time looking at heads from South Dakota, and those are special deer. You should be very thankful for your opportunity, because they don't hide behind very many trees...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You're exactly right. I've shot bucks in the past that wern't that great....still the biggest deer in the area but at least a year from being anything. BUT...I knew if I didn't shoot, the deer would be surly dead by the end of the season so I figure it was better that I slap my tag on him than someone else. Starting to see more and more bigger deer though. People are beginning to let younger deer walk, but its still the biggest contributer to all the small deer walking around

Thanks
    Congratulations

SD mule deer 2013

Quote Originally Posted by wby4life View Post
    My Dad and I hunted up in Harding County, just SW of Buffalo, for two years. We saw the biggest mule deer we've ever seen, but we had whitetail tags! Actually, we saw a guy in our hunting party miss it at 150 yards too...ugh! We went back the following year with "Any Deer" tags, but settled for much less than that. Some interesting country up that way though. Since then, we have concentrated on hunting the Wall area.
    I have several PP's for West River, and plan to send in for a tag in the fall of 2013. Looking at the NW corner / cust nf / short pines / slim buttes / and nw of buffalo. I think the unit is 35L..........anywho........any suggestions on this area? this fall i am hunting in Wyoming. I know the areas around Murdo and Wall look good as we pass through, but there doesnt seem to be a ton of public lands, and I like DIY public land hunting.

There are 3 main chunks of land.....NW of Buffalo, Souh of Camp Crook, and then Slim Buttes SE of Buffalo. Is there an area that doesnt get as much pressure? We are pretty fit hunters, and getting off the roads and away from crowds is what we like to do.

I will appreciate any info or advice that anyone may have. Not specifically looking for trophy mulie only......just want to see some good deer and as few of hunters as possible!

Thanks in advance!