Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hunting idaho good unit to start in?

Hello my name is Adam I am 41 years old I am looking for a good unit to hunt for mule deer and elk in?
    I have been an avid deer and elk hunter in Washington since I was 15 years old. I have enjoyed hunting black tail deer for that time and have killed many, my biggest scored 120 bc points. I have also killed many Roosevelt elk my biggest scored 250points I killed him with a muzzloaded. I make a living as a wood carver, I carve and teach north west coast Indian art. I have also commercial fished in Alaska before I was able to support my wife and 3 kids with my art.
    Recently I have started hunting north east washington for mule deer and love it. Mule deer are a lot different to hunt then black tail, it is like you can really hunt them, and I love the open country they sometimes live in. I am so tired of wet soggy brush with no visability.
    I am really interested in coming to idaho next fall 2014 in search of some open country where I can get out and walk and hunt all day, yes I would love a huge mule deer but do not excpect one. what unit would be a good break in for me? What unit could I hunt deer and elk at the same time? What unit has lots of public land, and road accesses I could hike off of? Any help would be greatly appreciated? The units I have been looking In to are
    Unit. 28
    Unit. 73-a
    Unit. 43.
    Thank you. Adam
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    Welcome to the form! Good looking elk! Are you looking for an OTC or LE unit?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    Welcome to the form! Good looking elk! Are you looking for an OTC or LE unit?
    Well I thought I could by a OTC license for deer and elk for a specific unit, and then I thought I get to put infor a controlled hunt also ? and if I get drawn then I would hunt the controlled hunt. Can I do that? That is how it works in Washington state. Thanks for answering my post.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by adzeit View Post
    Well I thought I could by a OTC license for deer and elk for a specific unit, and then I thought I get to put infor a controlled hunt also ? and if I get drawn then I would hunt the controlled hunt. Can I do that? That is how it works in Washington state. Thanks for answering my post.
    My opinion is that if you are gonna hunt general it is worth the extra money to put in for some controlled tags

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I think you can buy OTC deer and elk tags and they would change to a limited entry tag if you draw one but Im not 100% sure how that works and I have never done it that way? The problem with going about that way is if you draw LE a deer or elk tag there may not be a general season for the other species in the same area and the hunts could be at different times. In Idaho you have to buy a hunting license before you can apply for a LE tag or buy a general tag. Its not like WA where you have to buy a general tag to apply for LE tags. General tags are good for all general units except there are some groups of general elk units that you have to get a general tag specifically for that group of units. All general tags are OTC first come first serve but all other then maybe a few of the elk tags have not sold out the last few years and typically you can get tags even when the season opens. My advise would be to apply for LE tags and it you dont draw then buy a general tag. Hope that helps.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 60 Times in 7 Posts
    Hey welcome Adam, Very nice bull and Pic! The only hunting I have done so far in Idaho was in the north end for Whitetail. I am hoping to migrate south next time I am in Idaho and chase Mule Deer and/or Elk. Idaho seems like a good state for guys like us who don't have a pile of points already. I agree that if you are planning to hunt there that applying for a controlled hunt is a must, you have to buy the license either way so you may as well have your name in the hat for the draw hunts. I think Wyoming and Montana could be states of interest for you too.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hey thanks for the info. I am going to call idaho fish and game Monday and have a talk. Nobody out there has any info on units?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by adzeit View Post
    Hey thanks for the info. I am going to call idaho fish and game Monday and have a talk. Nobody out there has any info on units?
    First.. great picture. Rocks. Info on the units. Sorry I'm at year 4 of in the field. It takes a ton of effort and time. You have to realize very little quality info will come with this type of research. I think you are on the right path with your units. Maybe pick one of those units and now break down the individual unit. Maybe the one that is closest to you. Start in the summer and don't give up. Give yourself a 3 yr goal.

Sounds like you are a good hunter so you'll get it nailed down. Good luck.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Montana View Post
    First.. great picture. Rocks. Info on the units. Sorry I'm at year 4 of in the field. It takes a ton of effort and time. You have to realize very little quality info will come with this type of research. I think you are on the right path with your units. Maybe pick one of those units and now break down the individual unit. Maybe the one that is closest to you. Start in the summer and don't give up. Give yourself a 3 yr goal.

Sounds like you are a good hunter so you'll get it nailed down. Good luck.
    So Iam thinking about hunting unit 32 and applying for 32a. Any thoughts? Also what does the motorized vehicle deal? I think that means you can't 4x4 or atv off road? But are you still allowed to drive forest device roads or any road and hike in?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I think it means they close some FS roads to all motor vehicles durring the hunting seasons.