Thread: Cow'd up Bulls

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 40 Times in 3 Posts

Cow'd up Bulls

So I went up last saturday to my elk area, several things happened and i was wondering what you guys may think. I might as well ask since im at work and all i can think about is this coming weekend. First morning (Sunday) hike in, because i had a horse colic and had to come out late saturday night, bulls bugling everywhere. Sneaking through the trees we saw a 6x6 by himself feeding in a small park, we set up and cow called. He looked the first few times but showed no interest. we heard a couple bulls way far ahead bugling but were constantly getting further away, so back to camp we went. Long story short, we ran into two other small groups of elk that night, one 5x5 with three cows and another 6x6 with 5 cows, they were bugling like mad to eachother but wouldnt leave their cows. I thought itd be to early for them to be cow'd up and especially smaller bulls like them. then to have a decent 6x6 not show interest??? am I a little to early for heavy rut or a little too late? maybe just the area Im in? Thanks for all ideas!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    In my experience in the area I'm hunting. The smaller bulls throughout the last few years have been on the cows early in the rut. The bigger bulls will bugle but wont come into the cows yet. Once they start to get serious they push the smaller bulls out and become the herd bulls. I suppose every area is different as every year can be. I'm no expert but this is what I've noticed in my area the last few years. My area is doing the exact same thing right now. All smaller bulls with the cows and no big boys yet. I see them but they aren't with cows.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to birdhunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I just got back a couple days ago from a 9 day archery elk hunt in wyoming. We saw/heard lots of elk and most of which were doing the same thing you have both said. Small bulls with cows, big bulls more on their own. Right before we left the bigger bulls were taking over the harems but they still were not responding much to our cow calls or bugles. Im guessing it was a little too early, the smell in the air wasn't quite right (cows in estrous). Any day the switch will flip, and the cows are in charge of that switch.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wapiti66 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 40 Times in 3 Posts
    Thanks guys! I sure do appreciate it!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    i had same prob on one side of my unit but as soon as i moved 50 miles to other side of unit it was an entirley new ball game. crazy how the different groups are so diff just a couople mountains apart. found my bull i missed last year, still a 7x but just as thick and as heavy. next week in just a few more days im gonna close the gap on him i hope! good luck guys

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ivorytip For This Useful Post: