Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

back to ethics!!!

i spent the week hunting in dimond creek zone here in idaho, packed in as far as one could and no elk, we got to glassing and all the bulls we found were between 6000 and 7000 feet, so we dropped into a drainage where we spotted several nice bulls. now i understand that when you start hunting in lower easier to acsess places that you will deal with more people. i set up a small 2 man tent at base of trail that lead to the basin that held these elk, we came up next morn on wheelers to start the 3 mile hike in to find a california plate truckparked so colse to the tent that we couldnt even get in the tent. i didnt mind so much that someone would be in there, i planed on it but nkew they wouldnt be hunting as hard and as far in as i was, but parking the truck like that was just ignorant and they had a nece note waiting for them. some advice to the out of state hunters.... be thankfull for the opertunity idaho provides for easy over the counter tags, i hope soonthey will make the non res tags control tags only, that way the hunters will be greatfull and hopefully more respectfull to the residents and the opertunity that they have to hunt this blessed beautifull country.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    To be honest. This is one of the reasons I stopped hunting in Idaho! People just do give a crap about other hunters. I loved to hunt Idaho it's such awesome country and the local folks have always been great people its the out of state guys that ruined it for me.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Is any state not like that?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    What can you do? Can't fix stupid and you can teach them respect (legally). I had a kid blow a stalk opening day, 2 hrs of sneaking and and 30mins of waiting and the kid couldn't see so he decided to sneak down for a better view. I was 31yds from the buck and the kid snuck to 60yds of me and blew the buck out. I wanted to beat him but what can you do? I yelled a little and told him what I thought, then I ended up showing him where some smaller bucks where bedded and let him go. I don't own the country and I love the hunt so not a lot I could do. Chalk it up to learning, I could have explained a little better what I was planning and expecting from him. By the way, I didn't know this kid. He showed up 1 1/2 after sun up and walked up to me at my glassing spot. He knew he screwed up and was very apologetic, guess that's why I helped him out in the end. He made a good stalk but a very poor moving shot, chased after the buck and blew him 1/2 across the county. I washed my hands of him after that.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    yeah, one of those things i guess. i just talked to a guy last night that will let me in on his prop this week, same spot i missed that big bull last year. if the guy wouldnt have parked like that i wouldve been fine with it. jason, you did the right thing, i look back at when i first goin at it alone and im sure i bothere a hunter or two. im sure he learned a valuble lesson.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ivorytip View Post
    some advice to the out of state hunters.... be thankfull for the opertunity idaho provides for easy over the counter tags, i hope soonthey will make the non res tags control tags only, that way the hunters will be greatfull and hopefully more respectfull to the residents and the opertunity that they have to hunt this blessed beautifull country.
    Wow. Somebody parking next to your tent made you hate all non resident hunters.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    haha, no. the disrespectfull ones

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ivorytip View Post
    haha, no. the disrespectfull ones
    Just messing with you. I knew what you meant. I hope to hunt that beautiful country someday. Looks like a guys best shot at a moose in the lower 48.

We have problems with non resident hunters here too. There are some good ones out there though. I had a general dislike of Florida hunters until I met a couple good ones last year.

It only takes a few bad ones to ruin it for everyone.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    It isn't just the nonresident hunters, its STUDID hunters in general, each state has it's share of them!

Case in point.... A few years back I was hunting elk with my Dad (his last hunt with me as he was 90). We were hunting in a state park here in SW Co on a special use permit where 25 hunters are allowed to hunt in each season). It was late in the afternoon and we had spotted a herd of about 100 elk moving out of their bedding area in the aspens. We were sitting in a good area and they were feeding up to us and about 3oo yards away, Dad wanted to let them get a little closer, so we waited. A couple of hunters about 600 + yards away started shooting (actually shot over our heads!)and screwed up the whole setup. They crippled a cow, which came within 100' of use and layed down. Dad shot it in the neck. The park ranger watched the whole thing and came over and talked to us and the other hunters. They saw us and knew we were there but didn't really give a crap. My Dad refused to tag it, as it was already crippled. They were Colorado residents...... I've ran across problems with locals & residents in almost every state I've hunted in, not just big game hunters too. (Dad got his cow the next day!)

Like I said, no single state has a corner on stupid hunters!
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 09-14-2013 at 10:47 AM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    It isn't just the nonresident hunters, its STUDID hunters in general, each state has it's share of them!
    You said a mouth full there brother!