Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger84 View Post
    Thanks shootbrownelk. I purchased my point last night. Also the info. on calibers is good stuff. I have decided to go with the 7mm-08 for sure. Any other info. is greatly appreciated.
    Barnes TTSX bullets for that 7mm/08. They peel back into 4 razor sharp petals and retain better than 90% of their weight.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to shootbrownelk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by mattdeere View Post
    Montana is on a draw for Elk and Deer. They have a combo tag that will give you Elk, Deer all your stamps and fishing and Hunting License. It's just shy of $1000, you can buy an Elk combo with everything except the Deer tag for about $760. since they raised the price a couple of years ago they've had General tags left over and even as we speak they have about 700 still available.
    So what do you mean by a general tag? Are you limited to certain areas then and the better areas are harder to draw? If so how long do you have to put in for the better areas.
    Thanks again.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I would definately consider Wyoming for your hunt. You still have time to purchase a preference point and since you were planning on hiring an outfitter you would be able to hunt the wilderness areas south and east of Yellowstone park. So if you buy a pt this year and next, you should be able to draw a limited entry tag by 2015. Outfitters in those areas always have pack animals which can make for an enjoyable first hunt. The problem with this is finding an outfitter. I have never hunted with outfitters but I am sure there are good ones and bad ones. Good Luck.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to y02MDM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    So what do you mean by a general tag? Are you limited to certain areas then and the better areas are harder to draw? If so how long do you have to put in for the better areas.
    Thanks again.
    General tags are typically good for a large part of the state or a region in the state. Limited entry tags are for a specific unit. It depends on the unit as to how many points it takes to draw. Some can be had with a couple points and some will take 10 or more. General tags are usually easier to get but usually have more hunting pressure and lesser quality elk. They also come down to how well you know the area and if you hired a good outfitter in a general area you could certainly have a quality hunt. Some areas in WY with easy drawing odds have lots of private land and poor access so do your research before you apply. The wolves have hit the areas around Yellowstone pretty hard. There are still some good bulls coming out of there but it is not what it once was. Another option is OTC elk in CO. There is alot of hunting pressure and success rates are low but if nothing else you would get a feel for western hunting. I assume you do not subscribe to either Eastmans magazine. The MRS section gives alot of info on each state and would answer alot of your questions and help narrow down areas. Good luck!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    thanks for the info Musket. I subscribed the same night I joined the forum. I am waiting for it to show up. Sounds like a great magazine

Thanks
    Congratulations
    thanks for the info Musket. I subscribed the same night I joined the forum. I am waiting for it to show up. Sounds like a great magazine
    Eastmans Journal is indeed a great magazine. Another source of good information are any of Mike or Guy Eastman's books & DvD's. I have all Mikes books and gleaned a LOT of solid information from them, check out their website/store. Any of Mikes elk hunting books will answer just about 99% of your questions, he's been outsmarting elk for 50+ years!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to shootbrownelk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 2 Posts
    Badger84,

From my experience, I'd suggest that you apply for bonus points in a few states. Right now Utah seems to be where huge bulls are killed. Arizona is doing well, too. But it will take you 10 years' bonus points to have a shot at a decent area. If I were going with a guide, I'd concentrate on Wyoming. I've seen huge bulls in Wyoming while chasing mule deer. Colorado has big bulls. However, its hunting pressure can be frustrating.