Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elk tags

Thanks

Elk tags

How can you find out if you can still get a tag with out going in to a store and asking? I am new to Idaho and would like to get out and hunt a little but I am still trying to understand how to tags work. thanks

Thanks
    Idaho fish and game website. There's a lot of over the counter opportunities in Idaho. An A-tag is archery and B- tags are rifle. Just pick a spot and go.

Thanks
    what area you wanting to hunt? lots of over the counter tags. some of the archery A tags will change into a rifle cow tag.. welcome to idaho and to the forum

Thanks
    I am in the Air Force in Mountain Home. Just moved down from 8 years in Alaska so I am willing to go anyplace. I did a lot of archery hunting in AK so I am open to doing that in Idaho also. I was looking in the area of 43 and 44 but all the tags are sold out. I would like to get back in to the deer hunting and looking at the regs I take it regular deer means mule deer.... I just love hunting but more so being out in the woods away from the city.

Thanks
    Idaho has a quota on total general elk tags and then some unit groups have a quota inside of the total quota. If you buy a tag for 1 of the unit groups with its own quota you can only hunt those units I think. Regular deer is for mule deer but Im pretty sure its good for whitetails too. All the general tags are sold first come first serve but they have not completely sold out the last few years since they raised the prices although some of the unit groups with a quota do sell out. You can lookup what units still have tags available on the Idaho web sight. The reg book explains how the seasons work pretty well too.

Thanks
    not all units have a quota for elk, even though it prob should. 90 %do have a quota. i hope next years they have the c tag option available!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ivorytip View Post
    not all units have a quota for elk, even though it prob should. 90 %do have a quota. i hope next years they have the c tag option available!
    Not all units have a quota but there is a state wide quota that all units without their own quota fall under. Its not unlimited like CO.

Thanks
    oh??? i had no idea, good to know, thank you

Thanks
    I am looking at this as a non resident. It could be slightly different for residents?

Thanks
    well i guess that makes since, ive never looked at the non res side for idaho ive boughten a few non res tags for idaho in the past so i could harvest another elk or deer and there have been times where they said no res tags were sold out. sorry for the confusion, i was lost in my own little world. hows that .270 treating you MM?