Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

How many binos do you own?

How many pairs does a guy need?
    What about a father/son?

I think I'm understanding women's shoe addiction a bit better... but of course binoculars actually are useful

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have a pair of 10x Nikons. My wife has a pair of 8x Nikons. Lots of other stuff I would buy before buying a second set of binoculars.

QQ

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I have 2, a 10 x 42 and a 6 x 35.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I only have one set. Leupold 8X42 .

I'd rather invest in a spotting scope before a second pair of binoculars.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Well, I've had some 10x Monarchs for a while, and just recently bought a spotter. Not that I can afford it right now, but have been sniffing around binos on-line.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 2 Posts

How many binos do you own?

I have an unfair advantage, Im a vortex dealer and have access to all my displays when there stocked. Diamondback,Talons, vipers, razors, 8-15x occasionally ill bum the 15x56 swaro's from a buddy. I haven't found my "favorite" or " if I had to choose one" yet. But im having a good time trying to find it
    Last edited by hardstalk; 09-19-2013 at 10:48 PM.
    http://www.solooutdoor.com/ Contact me for used optic specials!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 53 Times in 9 Posts
    Swaro 10x42s and Vortex 15x56s here.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 10 Times in 1 Post
    I have a cheaper pair of 8x42 Minox and 8x30 Steiners that are designated truck binos, stay in there all year.

My good glass is all Zeiss, one pair of Zeiss Victory FL-T 8x56's that are the closest thing to night vision I've seen, great for scouting and stand hunting whitetail around home. For western hunts or anytime I'm more mobile I have the same binos in a 10x42. My wife hunts also so whichever set I'm not using she usually is. I couldn't afford them at retail but found them as demos through Cameraland, Doug cut me a great deal on the pair.

It sounds crazy but the 10x42's and Nikon ED50 pay for themselves every spring when we are calving on the ranch. The spotter's glass is good enough I can often check and see if a new calf is sucking or just trying to find the teat from a half mile without disturbing the pair or spending time trying to find a way to get close. If the calf just starts sucking and then I go disturb them the cow takes off and the calf may be exhausted before she gives him another chance to suck. The Zeiss binos are sharp enough I can check a cows bag to see if she has been sucked from 40yds away instead of walking right up to her which doesn't disturb her as much or get me charged trying to get within 10ft. They really help me perform my job efficiently and the time saved checking one pair may mean I save another before I run out of daylight.

I want to add a Vortex Viper HD 15x50 set for calving, antelope hunting, and to use for scouting from the truck around home. I really want Kaibabs or Swaros but I'm not sure how much use they would get especially with their added weight. From the truck the ED50 will do what the 15x binos can anyway.

I feel crippled scouting without a spotter also anymore. I take the ED50 on all scouting trips and most hunts.
    Last edited by mcseal2; 09-19-2013 at 11:13 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcseal2 View Post
    I have a cheaper pair of 8x42 Minox and 8x30 Steiners that are designated truck binos, stay in there all year.

My good glass is all Zeiss, one pair of Zeiss Victory FL-T 8x56's that are the closest thing to night vision I've seen, great for scouting and stand hunting whitetail around home. For western hunts or anytime I'm more mobile I have the same binos in a 10x42. My wife hunts also so whichever set I'm not using she usually is. I couldn't afford them at retail but found them as demos through Cameraland, Doug cut me a great deal on the pair.

It sounds crazy but the 10x42's and Nikon ED50 pay for themselves every spring when we are calving on the ranch. The spotter's glass is good enough I can often check and see if a new calf is sucking or just trying to find the teat from a half mile without disturbing the pair or spending time trying to find a way to get close. If the calf just starts sucking and then I go disturb them the cow takes off and the calf may be exhausted before she gives him another chance to suck. The Zeiss binos are sharp enough I can check a cows bag to see if she has been sucked from 40yds away instead of walking right up to her which doesn't disturb her as much or get me charged trying to get within 10ft. They really help me perform my job efficiently and the time saved checking one pair may mean I save another before I run out of daylight.

I want to add a Vortex Viper HD 15x50 set for calving, antelope hunting, and to use for scouting from the truck around home. I really want Kaibabs or Swaros but I'm not sure how much use they would get especially with their added weight. From the truck the ED50 will do what the 15x binos can anyway.

I feel crippled scouting without a spotter also anymore. I take the ED50 on all scouting trips and most hunts.
    On a side note: some folks seriously underestimate.

A. How much the smallest technology helps ranchers. Ex. Quads, good glass, comfortable boots and quality wool.

B. the kindness of a heifer. There flat ass mean when they have some calves. Ive seen more horses get their a$$ kicked by heifers with calves than I can count. Ive been on the short end a few times also. Bulls will charge and stop. A pissed heifer will run and run and run you down until they get what they want.
    http://www.solooutdoor.com/ Contact me for used optic specials!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 1 Post
    4 pair (more pairs of optics than shoes).
    Minox 8x20 (100 dollars and good for a take with you everywhere bino)
    Minox 10-15x40 (impulse purchase on ebay for 300 dollars and decent quality but may sell soon)
    Leica 10-15x50 (1300 used on ebay instead of the 2800 new pricetag and my serious hunting bino)
    nikon 8-12x30ish (175 on ebay instead of 850). I just bought the nikons to replace a pair my dad owned many years back that my brother had lost...ebay is a wonderful thing sometimes.
    I also own a 80hd swaro.
    The leica's are impressively clear, though I have looked through a few pair of duovids that I couldn't get clear no matter what I tried. In hindsight, I would have been better off owning a pair of 15x swaros or zeiss as I don't use the 10 power very often (only when I can't hold 15x still enough), but I'm happy with the 1300 dollars I paid for the used leica.
    The variable power binos I bought are the top of the line in the variable bino world and I know some people consider them junk. I think it was more of a hobby/compare em' thing for me. Someday I'll get my 15x swaro's and ditch the rest.

Bino's are to me what shoes are to women. I can only use one pair at a time but I have a pair for just about every occasion.