Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    have 2 sleeping bags, one is left at the truck. Just incase.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Take photos of all the rigs you see at the trailhead. You never know when that could come in handy.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by hardstalk View Post
    Sounds like your hunting in compton!! Gear & head stay on first trip beside the gun, take that on the first trip. Get everything on ice, im assuming you'll have a couple coolers at the truck with dry ice/ wet ice mix. Come back for gear, head, hide on second trip. If you bump into df&g and they want to harass you on your pack out tell them to grab their packs and help a brotha out!
    Emphasis on the "Grab your pack and help a brotha out..." THey aren't going to give you a hard time if everything is legit. I will say that in Washington state I believe your tag is supposed to stay with the "largest portion of meat". Which I guess means at some point there is a transfer that needs to happen, but the legistics of that never make sense to me (largest portion is now at the truck, but I am carrying the SMALLEST portion left, on my back ... with the tag, on my way from the MEDIUM portion, until I can get it to the new largest portion...). It just seems stupid to me, and seems like it was written by a politician not a hunter. And, I don't really know anyone who actually does it. People just leave the tag on the horns and take the horns last (no one can accuse you of wanton waste that way either). But you had better check the game regulations for the state you are hunting. Some states, I believe, tell you the head and horns MUST come out last (wanton waste deal again, I think). Plus, you must keep evidence of sex as per each states regulation.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Decent plastic sled. Put a few items in it on the pack in. Drag it behind you. (Yes sleds do just fine on dry ground). I usually basecamp and day hike out from it. leaving the sled at camp. Then you get your deer back to camp, Put your gear in your pack, and drag it all out in one load. Tough and slow, but beats going back in.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Wrap that tag on the antlers.. The pack out does not constitute transport....its being packed out. Once at your vehicle then secure your tag where it best represents your harvest requirements. At that point as you drive away, you have begun "transport" of the harvested animal. If any LE officer wants to be stupid about it and try to cite you...kick em in the nuts so at least that citation has SOME validity!
    I hunt because......
    Check out my shops website!!! www.blackvelvetcustoms.com

6. The Following User Says Thank You to wolftalonID For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Where is JMSZ these days?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftalonID View Post
    Wrap that tag on the antlers.. The pack out does not constitute transport....its being packed out. Once at your vehicle then secure your tag where it best represents your harvest requirements. At that point as you drive away, you have begun "transport" of the harvested animal. If any LE officer wants to be stupid about it and try to cite you...kick em in the nuts so at least that citation has SOME validity!
    Awesome post wolftalon! laughed my a$$ off when I read the last line.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    Be careful if you hunt Alaska...It is illegal to "transport" from the killsite, the horns or antlers until ALL edible meat is salvaged and transported out of the field to a departure point from the field; except that the horns or antlers may come out with the last load of edible meat. Keep the validated tag with you, and your firearm, you may need it on the return trip if in bear country.
    Assaulting the warden may not work out that well for you either, and yeah, I've helped guys pack way more than my fair share of their game meat back to the camp, when it didn't alter my patrol plans.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by AKaviator View Post
    Be careful if you hunt Alaska...It is illegal to "transport" from the killsite, the horns or antlers until ALL edible meat is salvaged and transported out of the field to a departure point from the field; except that the horns or antlers may come out with the last load of edible meat.
    I wish this was the law in all states. I understand we all hunt for different reasons, meat hunting vs trophy hunting. But if we don't take care of the meat first, we are just killing, not hunting.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by AKaviator View Post
    Assaulting the warden may not work out that well for you either
    I think you missed the point. It was a joke!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Alabama For This Useful Post: