Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wy 2014

Thanks

Wy 2014

Alright I just put in for my bonus points so it's got me looking ahead to next year...
    I have 4 elk points and 3 deer points going into 2014... What are the best units I could draw for deer and elk? I'm looking for some 330"+ bull areas and some 170"+ buck areas... Is it realistic to be able to get either tag with the amount of points I have... I'm a NV resident so its a long drive so I'm trying to make it worth it.
    What are your guys' opinions??

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    We need to hook up! I have 5 for deer. Elk and Antelope. I also am looking for good info on the same as you. I do have some contacts in the Wy area if you know what I mean but I want some options for sure. I want Antelope for sure in 14 and since it was supposed to be 100% last year and I didn't draw I'm really looking forward to it in 14.

We don't want your honey holes just a good place to start! Hahhahha what's that? Like 50 something? Lets ask this way. We want your honey hole and GPS works too. Thanks
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    ha good way to put it... honey holes, please! ha

Thanks
    If I were you (I am just a couple years behind on points) I would get my elk tag. If its open for deer on a 2nd choice tag then I would get a deer tag to continue to build points. Then the following year you could draw a good deer tag. You could also use your elk hunt to scout for deer as well if your elk area lies in a LQ deer area.

I personally would not want to draw a premium Elk and Deer tag in the same year, I think I would stress to much over it.

Next you need to ask yourself if you want to do a DIY or hire a guide. They both have pros and cons of course, but the biggest con for WY on a DIY hunt is the stupid wilderness law for NR.

Do you subsrcibe to Eastmans? If so, check out all the blue chip elk units and go from there. With 4 points and using the special application you should be able to draw a good to great unit.

Thanks
    I think you definitely need to look at doing this over the course of a couple years. If you only give yourself 7 days to hunt and on the 3rd day you shoot an elk, you will likely only have 2 days left to try and hunt muleys. If it were me I would try and find hunt areas that overlap and then try and draw the tag for the animal that is the lower priority for you personally and hunt that first, giving yourself a chance to learn the area, or at least try and draw a cow tag int he area first so you can go in and start to learn the ground. More people shoot nice elk/deer from hunting the same mediocre area year after year than on premium tags for a reason, they know the ground.

Thanks
    ELK: Each year I am tracking pretty much all of the draw units in Wyoming. I have max points and my wife has 4 points so she is in the same boat as you are. The problem is that there are still a LOT of max point holders in the draw. Even in the "special" draw, odds are around 10% for max point holders for the best units. All of the top units are still clogged up with max point applicants. I am having a difficult time picking a unit for my wife to apply in where she would have a good chance to draw so she usually just goes in for a random draw in one of the better units. If you want to draw in the next few years, your best bet will be to pick a difficult to access unit (due to private land) and navigate into public land using a GPS and a land status card and plan on putting in a few miles on foot to access areas not hunted by day hunters.

DEER: Region G general season tag, 170+ bucks are there but it is a general unit with unlimited pressure from residents.

In 30 years of Western hunting I've killed one buck over 170 and three bulls over 330. Your trophy goals are up there. I would suggest hunting deer and elk in separate years with your goals.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Umpqua Hunter For This Useful Post:

Drelk (09-22-2013), Ikeepitcold (09-22-2013)

Thanks
    Thanks for all the info guys. I would really like to hunt region g for deer. I really enjoy packing in and hunting with camp on my back. And I know region g is an area that holds some really good bucks but from what I've seen it doesn't hold that great of bulls. Any areas you guys would recommend that holds good bucks and bulls so I could go on a deer hunt there next year, have a good chance at finding a few decent bucks, learn the area, then come back next year (2015) and go hunt bull elk....? Any units where I could do that...???

If there arent any units that have good deer AND elk numbers, thats ok... I can hunt region G for deer, and the next year come back and hunt elk in a different area... It just would be nice to be able to hunt the same area to be able to get to know it better for the following season...
    Last edited by hubba20; 09-21-2013 at 11:28 AM.

Thanks
    With less than max pts for deer G is a no brainer. Big bucks and tons of public land. Without max pts for elk I think the general tag is the beat bet especially if your willing to hunt with archery gear. And for antelope there are lots of units to kill a 75-80+ inch buck. The one thing antelope pts does help with is public land. The more pts an antelope unit takes to draw the more puplic land the unit will have most of the time.
    Last edited by Shooter; 09-21-2013 at 04:59 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Shooter For This Useful Post:

hubba20 (10-08-2013)

Thanks
    alright. well what im starting to think is the best option is that we put in for region G deer next year and we can hunt that next year... while we're hunting deer we can see if its worth elk hunting the following year... if its good, we come back... if not, then we look for a different area.. right now we arent worried about antelope but we will maybe want to do that in the future so thank you for the info!

Thanks
    What part of Region G are you thinking about going?