Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wy 2014

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mnhunter View Post
    I think you definitely need to look at doing this over the course of a couple years. If you only give yourself 7 days to hunt and on the 3rd day you shoot an elk, you will likely only have 2 days left to try and hunt muleys. If it were me I would try and find hunt areas that overlap and then try and draw the tag for the animal that is the lower priority for you personally and hunt that first, giving yourself a chance to learn the area, or at least try and draw a cow tag int he area first so you can go in and start to learn the ground. More people shoot nice elk/deer from hunting the same mediocre area year after year than on premium tags for a reason, they know the ground.
    I agree for sure. I would never try to get all three the same year. One at a time
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    So slightly differant question. Can a guy hunt antelope one year while scouting for deer to hunt the fallowing year in the same unit that has trophy bucks? 80"+ and 180"+

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hey IKIC thats the unit I been looking for! Let me know when you find it All I want is a unit full of 80 and 180 bucks that I can draw every other year with no hunting pressure. Really I would like it to have plenty of 330 bulls too. That way each could take up to 2 points to draw and I could still hunt it every year.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I noticed that the hunter success in region G was right around 25% and unit 89 had about 83% hunter success rates. Unit 89 would take me about 5-6 points to draw the tag but do you guys think it would be worth the 3 year wait?? I don't think the deer quality will be much better but there will be a lot less pressure and better chance of killing a buck with 83% success rates!! What do you guys think? What would you do? Is unit 89 worth waiting 6 years??

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by hubba20 View Post
    I noticed that the hunter success in region G was right around 25% and unit 89 had about 83% hunter success rates. Unit 89 would take me about 5-6 points to draw the tag but do you guys think it would be worth the 3 year wait?? I don't think the deer quality will be much better but there will be a lot less pressure and better chance of killing a buck with 83% success rates!! What do you guys think? What would you do? Is unit 89 worth waiting 6 years??
    IMO, it's not a bad idea to save up points in a state in hopes of drawing one of those coveted tags. But I would also have a couple of other areas that I could go OTC or draw with a point or 2. You need to keep hunting to keep your skills honed and every 5-6 years would suck for me. I'm not a "TROPHY" hunter as most any buck suits me. There are a lot of good general areas in the western US that hold 170" bucks. I'd bet money that there are several guys on this site that consistently harvest BIG bucks in easy to draw units. A lot of it boils down to familiarity with an area. I have some friends that hunt Elk in Montana who have killed bulls darn near every year based on there knowledge of the area. We went 6 for 6 last year on opening weekend. All public land with heavy resident pressure. Hope this helps.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    That's the big question I have I guess. My brother and I hunt in Wyoming, Colorado, Nevada and Utah so we usually have 1-2 tags each every year. Sometimes 3 if we get lucky ha. So I'm going to have places to hunt. Next year I have 3 pp in Colorado so we are pretty much guaranteed a high country archery deer tag. I have 2 deer points in Nevada so I have a good chance at that. Not to mention 7 archery elk points so I have decent chance to get that. And then Utah General deer. So I guess what I'm saying is that I don't HAVE to hunt Wyoming next year. I have been wanting to for quite a few years now so that's what I would like to do, but I also have another options. But I do have enough points to get Region G so if I'm going to hunt G I should try to get it next year so that I'm not building points for an area that I can already draw now. . If it's not worth it to get region G then I can just wait a few years and try to get unit 89 and have a 'better' hunt.
    What do you guys think?
    Last edited by hubba20; 09-22-2013 at 03:26 PM.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    Hey IKIC thats the unit I been looking for! Let me know when you find it All I want is a unit full of 80 and 180 bucks that I can draw every other year with no hunting pressure. Really I would like it to have plenty of 330 bulls too. That way each could take up to 2 points to draw and I could still hunt it every year.

Hahhahha ya well I figured its a lot to ask for but it's very doable in Nv. Just not sure if it is in Wy.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post
    Hahhahha ya well I figured its a lot to ask for but it's very doable in Nv. Just not sure if it is in Wy.
    Are you kidding! I cant draw a tag in NV to save my life.... Atleast I can hunt WY every year, even if its on a 2nd choice leftover tag they cant git rid of its better then nothing! LOL

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I wouldnt go just on success rates. General hunts are OTC to residents and there are probably alot more road hunters and guys not really hunting then there is in a unit that takes a few points to draw.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    Are you kidding! I cant draw a tag in NV to save my life.... Atleast I can hunt WY every year, even if its on a 2nd choice leftover tag they cant git rid of its better then nothing! LOL
    So true. Same for me. Sorry I wasn't talking about every year. I ment with 5 points on each going into the draw. In Nv a guy SHOULD be able to hunt deer and antelope in a trophy area for both.