Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Antelope 75 / roads

I'm planning on hunting antelope area 75 mid next week and it is supposed to rain a half inch or so according to the weather forecast...for what that is worth.... Never been to this unit and I am wondering if I'll be able to get around very well if it were to rain. Just driving a standard size -older F150 4X4 with fairly aggressive tires- nothing crazy.

Any words of wisdom?

Thanks,

Thanks
    Congratulations
    There is a couple good main roads that go through 75 that I don't think would be affected by rain. Plus you got the highway too which I've seen some good goats while hunting 75, but them side roads can get crazy! I always carry tire chains and a shovel when I go anywhere in Wyoming hunting. You never know what the hell you'll run into. Have fun, 75 is a good unit!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 5 Posts
    +1 on the tire chains. They have got me out of some places I wouldnt of got out of without them! I usually park my truck and take my 4wheeler on the dirt roads.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks Guys

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I learned the hard way. If it's gonna rain I won't even go out. If it's not a black top it may look good and be hard as a rock when it's dry, but as soon as it rains just a little bit you can hardly move, even with an ATV. Even if you see some from the black top, you need to walk through the crap, and it just keeps accumulating on your boots until you can hardly walk. Tried it a couple years ago and spent 2 days in the tent. Never again!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    A half inch of rain and the roads are almost impassable, it's like driving on grease. The good news is, a little sun and a lot of wind and a day or two...and the you can't drive a nail in the road. Welcome to Wyoming gumbo. Robsev is right, your boots will weigh 20 lbs each. Take chains and be prepared.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You have received very good advice. The good news is that there is some decent hunting off the main roads within reasonable distance. I usually have a very limited time to hunt when I go in. If I was a resident I'd definitely follow robsev's advice. As a non-resident with only a few days walking in gumbo sucks, but so does sitting in a hotel room or tent stewing about not hunting. The thing about doing it on foot is that you work darn hard but aren't stuck with a truck to far from home. I'd rather hit high spots and glass where I can than stay in camp. It may not be more productive but at least it makes me feel better about my trip.

Thanks
    Congratulations

This was after a light rain. Tires got so full of goo I couldn't go forward. Barely made it back to the tent. That's when I decided - Never Again! All this crap dried before I made it home. Took me a half a day to get it all off with a power washer. Kinda like trying to wash off cement.
    Last edited by robsev; 09-23-2013 at 10:10 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by robsev View Post

This was after a light rain. Tires got so full of goo I couldn't go forward. Barely made it back to the tent. That's when I decided - Never Again! All this crap dried before I made it home. Took me a half a day to get it all off with a power washer. Kinda like trying to wash off cement.
    Robsev, Yep- looks like the same stuff we fight through when we hunt south-east Montana. I was hoping that it may be different terrain west of Casper. I tried to power wash my truck after last fall's Montana hunt and ran into the same issue. The stuff does not want to come off the vehicles.