Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    dag nabit old hunter, i cant take it anymore!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    why hunt bull or doe if u just want meat??????????

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 1 Post
    I have no problem with the way people hunt for either meat or trophy. I was brought up to hunt for survival. I just wish more people would understand that hunting from the very beginning was always about feeding the family and friends. People 100 years ago and beyond would probably be disgusted at the way some people hunt. With that being said, trophy hunters (most of the trophy hunters on here) are ethical in the way they hunt. I highly doubt any of you waste meat like a lot of the people on tv. I feel tv has ruined a lot to do with hunting. I do understand nonresidents that pay a lot of money to go to a trophy unit. There are instances that require trophy hunting. I hunt in the black hills of Wyoming, where historically, 3 of 5 deer harvested in wyo are from the black hills areas. Many people I grew up with around here shoot for meat and not antlers.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Like I said. I don't care if you hunt for the eyeballs. Just don't ask me what I think of it.

Some can't handle that someone doesn't like the way they do it. Long range shooters are the same way.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    old hunter, i think you were my dad in another life...... ha, trust me, thats a mountian of a complimant. doe eyeballs are delicious btw, simmered in with some estrus and pine needles.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 3 Posts
    I guess I would have to say that I am both a trophy hunter and a meat hunter. I will not shoot a deer unless we are going to eat it. End of story. The bigger the rack, the better, but for me its more about the hunt. That is the actual reason why I hunt. It gives me a chance to be outside having more fun than anyone should be allowed to have. If you want to hunt for the horns, be my guest, but get the meat out first. Take care of the meat, then the horns. You can always have your taxidermist put a different hide on your mount if the hair slips. My dad always taught me to respect the game; which, to me, means there is no reason to kill an animal if not for the meat first, and second, the rack if it has one. Each person has their own reason of hunting, but there is a reason there are laws against wasting meat which I feel should absolutely be enforced.
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tdcour For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Every year I dream of shooting a 'trophy' animal in the zone nearest where I live. It's what gets me up at 2 am on a day off after a 60 hour work week, to hike up steep mountains. If all I wanted was meat, I'd sleep in and go to the grocery store. It would certainly be cheaper.

So while I dream of shooting a 'monster', reality sets in and I'm contented to simply get a buck at all. I enjoy venison and simply getting a buck is still a big deal for me. I never seem to dream about shooting a plump forky for the freezer though....

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Never in Doubt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 27 Times in 1 Post
    I think it is important to realize that for some of us the trophy is not necessarily only about horn size. I enjoy going after a particular mature animal and the sense of accomplishment that I feel when all of the planning and stalking and LUCK work out for me to actually take him. That being said, I was raised that you don't kill anything that you aren't going to eat. That is one of the reason I am not a duck hunter (not trying to start an argument over there table worthiness, but I don't care for the taste). I know the only gripe that I have is when someone kills an animal of any sort, with any weapon and then isn't proud of it. Every animal that I have been lucky enough to take has provided me with memories and meals that make me look forward to the next season!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 58 Times in 7 Posts
    When I started big game hunting, 30 years ago, the meat was very important to my family. Now that I am older and have a family of my own, it doesn't seem to be as important. Don't get me wrong, we eat everything I kill, but wild game is not the preferred table fare for my wife and 3 daughters. With fuel prices as they are, the distance I have to travel and the fewer oportunites for me to hunt I have become a much more selective hunter. I really don't want to shoot the first legal animal I see, unless it's the last day if season before I see it, even then I have let little ones walk. Being more selective has taught me patiance and made me appricaite the quarry much more. The anticipation of the hunt is what keeps me awake at night, not the backstraps. With this mindset I have killed far less animals than if I was strickly a meat hunter, I also wouldn't have a subscriptions to EHJ and EBJ if all I cared about was the meat.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 58 Times in 7 Posts
    When I started big game hunting, 30 years ago, the meat was very important to my family. Now that I am older and have a family of my own, it doesn't seem to be as important. Don't get me wrong, we eat everything I kill, but wild game is not the preferred table fare for my wife and 3 daughters. With fuel prices as they are, the distance I have to travel and the fewer oportunites for me to hunt I have become a much more selective hunter. I really don't want to shoot the first legal animal I see, unless it's the last day if season before I see it, even then I have let little ones walk. Being more selective has taught me patiance and made me appricaite the quarry much more. The anticipation of the hunt is what keeps me awake at night, not the backstraps. With this mindset I have killed far less animals than if I was strickly a meat hunter, I also wouldn't have a subscriptions to EHJ and EBJ if all I cared about was the meat.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Timberstalker For This Useful Post: