Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hunter View Post
    You think exceeding the holding capacity is a healthy herd? I don't think you're good on game management. Think about it.
    Try again... read my post one more time..

Thanks
    Congratulations
    BTW.. I have no desire to argue nor personally attack anyone's opinion. I was just sharing mine.

Hunters arguing amongst hunters is about as foolish as it gets.

Think about it.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Montana For This Useful Post:

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    No reason to turn this thread bad fellas. Please do not attack anyone for their opinions we all have the rite to them. Thanks and let's keep this going with respect to all. Thanks
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ikeepitcold For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 5 Posts
    I like to see lots of animals but I dont think exceding the holding capacity is a good thing. An area can only feed so many and when there are more then the area can support the herd becomes unproductive, fawn recruitment is low, ect. It all needs to stay balanced to have a healthy herd.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    I like to see lots of animals but I dont think exceding the holding capacity is a good thing. An area can only feed so many and when there are more then the area can support the herd becomes unproductive, fawn recruitment is low, ect. It all needs to stay balanced to have a healthy herd.
    I agree.. I obviously was not very clear in making my point Time for me to let this one go..

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Trophy hunting is like anything else, you can take it too far as indicated by our Wisconsin friends. To use hunting as a serious competition is wrong and no one should ever make fun of a child for shooting whatever it is they are excited about.

I think most of us public land hunters get along so well because we don't have land that we can post up tight and "grow" deer. We hunt truly free roaming and intelligent animals of which everyone has a fair chance at. I have no problem if people are hunting does, bucks, trophies, or fawns. If someone wants to shoot a doe or small buck then I look at it as one less hunter to contend with the rest of the season. If a hunter is out there looking for a big deer, then I know some smaller deer will get passed by and I might have a chance at those same deer years down the road. I'm a trophy hunter, but not like those Wisconsin hunyuks referred to by the thread starter.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Montana View Post
    I agree.. I obviously was not very clear in making my point Time for me to let this one go..
    It seems more than me took your post wrong. So, what did you mean by just hunting trophy animals, and herd management?

btw..I never thought we were arguing, but having a discussion. Some never seem to catch onto that.
    Last edited by Old Hunter; 09-26-2013 at 04:46 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WI Buck.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	6556

I think most guys on here are of the similar mind. I know that I mostly hunt for mature deer. However, I have taken smaller, and don't base a hunt solely on whether I shoot a trophy. The hunt itself is why I go out hunting. Its why I spend money buying equipment, spend time planning, looking at google earth / maps...........it is all part of the hunt. The killing is just the final act. the cherry on top. and frankly, the sad part. I never "enjoy" killing in the sense most people "enjoy" things. Its a different kind of enjoyment. Its not the same as I "enjoy playing basketball" or I "enjoy a TV show" or "enjoy a good meal"...........its different. I cant exactly explain it.

But I have a story for you that show the difference b/w "that trophy hunter" and myself (not singling out anyone, just a certain type of trophy hunter).

I shot the buck above (around 120" 10 pt) when I was 16 yo. It was my 2nd whitetail ever. I was hunting a state park / public land that you had to draw a tag for in Wisconsin. It is now open to anyone, and that place is ruined, but that's another story! The rest of my family was hunting a private land that borders this state park. My family had hunted this property for 30+ years, we would spend time outside of hunting with the family....fishing, thanksgiving, stopping for visits, remodeling their kitchen and ect. The son of the property owner never hunted until we got him into hunting. as time went by, he became more and more obsessed with "the big buck" craze. he eventually "took over" and enrolled the land in QDM. he refused to let anyone shoot does or any bucks not "trophy" sized....and that included kids just starting out hunting like me. So I opted to apply for the state park tag and drew, after 3 years of passing bucks and does without harvesting a deer on his property I drew the state park tag and shot this deer on that was about a mile as the crow flies from the private land. When I got the deer back to their farm where we stayed, all the son said was "that buck wouldn't be big enough here" and promptly told everyone in our party that if one of us "shot a small deer like this" we would all be kicked off. We shot a 160" and 140" buck over the next 2 years, and In 3 years he refused us hunting anymore. Traditions lost. friendships lost. all b/c of the big buck craze. Not to mention, hurt and disappoint that I felt after being excited about my deer, and to have those excited feelings dashed.

and I have seen or heard of many similar stories like mine. friends becoming enemies. neighbors fighting. all in the name of "trophy hunting"..................so yes, I am a bit jaded. That being said, I still try to shoot mature deer, and enjoy doing so. I don't get tons of excitement from shooting does or small bucks. So I am not sure what I am. But I know I am not like the guy in my story above. and to this day, he considers himself a "trophy" hunter.

P.S - yes I am bitter! LOL
    Last edited by Ilovethewest; 09-26-2013 at 01:10 PM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    There's one way for a hunter to know if they're a trophy hunter. Just in case they're confused on the question.

Do you save points? Even though i've shot what many would call a trophy. I've never saved a point. I've built up some points by failing in the draw, but i've never bought a point for the sake of building them up to hunt a trophy unit.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 5 Posts
    I dont see how saving points necessarily makes you a trophy hunter. I am building points in several states right now. I do hope to get a big buck when I do draw but that is not the only reason. I look for good units I can draw with 3-5 points so I can have a better hunt with less pressure, better access, ect. On years I dont draw (like this year) I hunt units with leftover tags or OTC so I always have someplace to hunt.