Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonArrow View Post
    I've seen pictures of your jeep, it's probably a lot nicer vehicle than you need, but you're proud of it. I guess trophy hunters are proud of the hard work it takes to tag a mature buck or bull. We're all a little vain, we just show it in different ways.

That might be true for some 4wheelers, but when I built it I was in a 4WD club, and we did impossible trails. Everything on the Jeep served a purpose. The pictures were taken, because the club demanded them to put in the news letter. Otherwise I never would have took them. I always feel funny showing them, but it's no accomplishment on my part. Anybody can build the same Jeep.

Watch me catch flak for what i'm going to say next. For those who can't stand the fact that you mount a dead animal to remind you of the hunt, and be proud of it. I'll ask you a simple question. Has anybody seen them besides you? Have you shown them to anybody who wouldn't otherwise have seen them? Have you ever posted them on a forum, or a picture of the kill before it was mounted? How do you describe the word bragging rights?

Webster describes it this way.

bragging rights noun
    : a good reason to talk with pride about something you have done

This isn't a put down on my part. It's just what it is, and I was brought up to not do it. Simple as that.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Well put CC HO, I would say I have done most of those things. I would consider it proud or wanting to share it with others, not bragging rights. To me someone that does it just for bragging rights is someone that thinks they are better or a better hunter then others just because their horns are bigger and wants to rub it in to everyone or someone that spends hundreds of thousands of dollars just to kill a giant buck or bull. Im not saying Im necessarily against it but I dont consider them hunters. If you go out DIY and kill a nice animal you should be proud of it! Proud and bragging rights are very different to me.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I agree that it's done in different degrees. The guys at the extreme end of it are pretty hard to take.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I think getting an extra doe tag is the most, maybe the only cost effective meat hunting out of state. Im already going with a buck tag and for about $35 and 1 bullet (assuming I dont miss like last year. Still trying to sort that 1 out in my head. Killed a buck mule deer and antelope clean 1 shot each and missed the first shot at a doe antelope...) I can come home with a doe for meat!

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Does are tasty.

Thanks
    Congratulations

Cool

hmmm, ive gotta say that the guy that shoots a big bull or buck every year is a hunter. they have to hunt harder and longer, stalk an animal for days sometimes. sleep out of what they have in thier pack. im sorry, but if im 5 miles or more away from a rd, i dont use horses mind you, i will not shoot an animal thats not heavy antlered. close the the rd i will. something bout packing those monster antlers out of the backlands with the meat just gives me total satisfaction and a since of a job well done. any joe can walk in a mile and shoot a meat buck or a cow, doe or what have ya. 9 times out of 10, you will not shoot or let alone see a monster animal unless you are "HUNTING" your @$$ off. and bragging rights???? dang straight!!!! im proud as heck when i acomplish such a feat as harvesting a trophy sized animal, and brag i will, vain? yeah. but who isnt in one way or another in certain aspects of thier lives. hunting and being in the outdoors is my passion, harvesting a trophy animal is a cherry on top.
    Last edited by ivorytip; 09-29-2013 at 09:13 PM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Imagine if the hunting your ass off was the trophy part of it for you instead of the kill.

I see your side of it. Do you see mine?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Im with ya Ivory. The farther in they are the bigger they have to be for me to pull the trigger!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Them that can brag without lying, let them brag.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by ivorytip View Post
    hmmm, ive gotta say that the guy that shoots a big bull or buck every year is a hunter. they have to hunt harder and longer, stalk an animal for days sometimes. sleep out of what they have in thier pack. im sorry, but if im 5 miles or more away from a rd, i dont use horses mind you, i will not shoot an animal thats not heavy antlered. close the the rd i will. something bout packing those monster antlers out of the backlands with the meat just gives me total satisfaction and a since of a job well done. any joe can walk in a mile and shoot a meat buck or a cow, doe or what have ya. 9 times out of 10, you will not shoot or let alone see a monster animal unless you are "HUNTING" your @$$ off. and bragging rights???? dang straight!!!! im proud as heck when i acomplish such a feat as harvesting a trophy sized animal, and brag i will, vain? yeah. but who isnt in one way or another in certain aspects of thier lives. hunting and being in the outdoors is my passion, harvesting a trophy animal is a cherry on top.
    Where were you last week? I needed someone in my corner I was feeling a bit "out there" .