Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 10 Posts
    I keep the meat and the horns! I got plenty of little forkie horns around from when I was younger and I sure wasnt trophy hunting when I killed any of them. lol

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I thought we were all trophy hunters when we were kids?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 10 Posts
    I was just happy to kill 1 or 2 (could get 2 tags there). If it was legal it got it, there werent any big bucks around in those days, even a 3 pointer was rare. We hunted with dogs too. That was ok when everyone used them,but all the ranches around us got sold and mostly closed to hunting and all the older bucks would stay on ranches where no one bothered them untill the rut when the season was closed. My hunting style has changed a since then!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 3 Posts
    "Meat hunters" here in TN can kill 3 antlerless deer per day, season opens end of Sept and closes early Jan, so if you got a decent place to hunt it is way cheaper to eat venison here than any other protein. We raise beef cattle, but 90% of what we eat is wildgame and fish we take. I personally try to hold out for a mature deer (more age than score) but I truly enjoy the outdoor experience with friends and family and usually end up shooting a 2.5 year old because it makes me happy.

Im a trophy hunter, but my definition of a trophy is not antler/horn score its 100% the experience. Sometimes we kill some high scoring deer sometimes we dont, but regardless of the score we EAT them ALL! With that said, I would stop hunting if I could not eat the game I killed. I would also quit hunting if I stopped having fun.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by xtreme View Post
    Them that can brag without lying, let them brag.
    Dizzy Dean said "...If you done it, then it ain't bragging..."
    Patron Life Member, NRA; Life Member RMEF, SCI, NAHHC, NSRPA

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    I have mounts of game and fish. I enjoy seeing them and they serve the same purpose in my home as pictures, art and other decorations. Not bragging at all, just like looking at them!
    I agree with that, and do the same thing. This is not to impress anyone as much as it is to educate the grandkids and some guests. Some of the mounts are purposely mounted low, and rather than having a "no touch" philosophy, we encourage them to touch and feel the mounts and to ask questions. We have a full size black bear mount in the foyer, and had the bear mounted closed mouth, with paws down, so the kids would not be scared. When they were very small, we would pick them up, and let them feel the claws and touch its head, and tell them this is "Mr. Bear". Last weekend the kids were there, and the three year old granddaughter was stroking its fur, and talking to Mr. Bear. Many times nonhunting guests have asked questions about the animals. What they are. Where they are from. Do you eat the meat?, etc.. [It is shocking how many nonhunters thing that no hunters eat the meat from their kills. They just leave it in the field.] Even though they may not become hunters, they are not anti-hunting.

BTW, Colorado. Bear meat makes the best chili that you will ever eat. Old Hunter, please bring out those antlers you are leaving behind. Many organizations that conduct "Sensory Safari" programs for the blind would love to have them.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Tell me more about this?

"Colorado. Bear meat makes the best chili that you will ever eat. Old Hunter, please bring out those antlers you are leaving behind. Many organizations that conduct "Sensory Safari" programs for the blind would love to have them."

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Sensory Safari is a program started by Safari Club International that allows blind children to touch and feel taxidermy mounts, antlers etc. to help them visualize wild animals. This program has been expanded to sighted (non-blind) inner (and outer) city school age children in some areas by SCI Chapters that have put together Mobile Sensory Safari vans that visit area schools to acquaint the students with game animals and their relationship to hunters. The vans contain posters that explain how hunters have been the driving force in the rebound of wild animals such as the Whitetail Deer and American Bison. On the initial visit to one high school, some of the students did not want to visit the van to see a "bunch of dead animals killed by hunters". The school science instructor made the visit mandatory for his students and required them to write a report on their visit. After the initial visit, the students were making comments like "...wow-we thought hunters just killed animals..", and were asking when the van would return. There is also another program called "Safari in a Box" where boxes containing antlers, skulls, bones, hide samples, etc. are donated to high school science teachers to use in their instruction. There are a number of organizations, as well as State Fish and Game Depts. that participate in these programs. The premise being, that if we do not educate the children, the anti-hunters will.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Well, that's a good reason to save the antlers. I would imagine they don't want them too big so they can be handled easier?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hunter View Post
    I would imagine they don't want them too big so they can be handled easier?
    Oh come on Really????