Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    This thread is a riot! Lots of differing perspectives here. If I had to qualify myself I'd probably agree with the whole Hybrid-Hunter statement. I have not bought meat in a store in over eight years. All I eat is game whether it be elk, deer, pheasants, or waterfowl. But the funny thing is I guide fly-fishermen in the summers and I'm all catch and release on almost all fish. Don't get me wrong, I love to eat fish and if you put me on a walleye lake you'll have to club me over the head to get me to quit putting "eyes" in the cooler. To me this just proves my point of being a hybrid-hunter. I don't HAVE to hunt for food that is why I have an education and a profession, I LIKE to hunt for my food. Game is better for us, great tasting, and sustainable... I like to do as Peter was instructed; "Arise, Kill, Eat..." I'm taking liberties here of course. With all that said I'd be lying if I told you that I'd let a 350 bull walk because there was a spike following him that would be better eating. My approach to big game hunting (that includes deer) is to fill the freezer with cows and does FIRST! Then I'm looking for a good bull or buck. This especially applies to whitetails as I've killed a pile of "dink" bucks and won't kill a whitetail buck if I'm not going to put him on the wall. However, my philosophy on whitetail does is kind of like Lay's potato chips you can't eat/kill just one! So, in short, I'm a meat hunting, carnivore who hunts because he loves to and won't ever turn down a trophy or the chance to hunt for one!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I consider myself a trophy hunter. I will hunt hard for an above average trophy for the area I am hunting until it gets down to the wire. Then I will take an average sized animal. With that said I always take care of the meat and I eat what I kill. I believe it is disrespectful to kill an animal only for the antlers on it's head. I guess I like the challenge of pursuing a mature specimen. Also the animal has lived a good portion of its life and had a chance to pass on its genes. I will kill does for meat but I try to take the mature ones if possible.

I keep the antlers and display them on a plaque or I get the head mounted. Along with pictures it is the best way to remember the hunt and honor the animal. I don't feel as if it is bragging or boasting just a way of remembering.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Well said Alabama

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I left a cow half quartered out over night at 20 degrees before being able to get the rest the next day
    And to my suprise it was already turning by the next morning. So I know for a fact that when left overnight in 40 and 50s its done

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Ive left elk in 40s and 50s overnite and never had a problem. Im really not sure what that has to do with trophy hunting vs. meat hunting.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    id like to know what some people qualify spoiled meat as, recently had a friend tell me he has to throw his elk quarters out cuz it was spoiled... its been getting in 20's at night and 60 in day, hes only had it hanging for 3 days so i went to look at it and only thing wrong with it was the norm, the dark hard crust that forms over all air exposed meat, i started cutting the crust away and showed him it wasnt spoiled at all. i stayed there and helped him break it down and wrap it, was sick to think all of that wonderfull meat almost ended up in trash cuz of him not knowing.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by ivorytip View Post
    id like to know what some people qualify spoiled meat as, recently had a friend tell me he has to throw his elk quarters out cuz it was spoiled... its been getting in 20's at night and 60 in day, hes only had it hanging for 3 days so i went to look at it and only thing wrong with it was the norm, the dark hard crust that forms over all air exposed meat, i started cutting the crust away and showed him it wasnt spoiled at all. i stayed there and helped him break it down and wrap it, was sick to think all of that wonderfull meat almost ended up in trash cuz of him not knowing.
    The Down side of hanging/aging meat for any period of time. There is some loss but with higher fat content game such as elk it increases tenderness and adds quite a bit of flavor once that fat starts to break down. Adds alot of work to the processing stage but makes it tasty, tasty!!
    http://www.solooutdoor.com/ Contact me for used optic specials!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    x2 grizz said it perfectly!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    trophy animals have more meat. a 5 year old trophy buck has a lot more meat than a 2 year old doe or spike buck. so to me if your meat hunting why aren't you after the biggest animal with the most meat.

Sent via Crypto KG84 Algorithm

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by target tony View Post
    trophy animals have more meat. a 5 year old trophy buck has a lot more meat than a 2 year old doe or spike buck. so to me if your meat hunting why aren't you after the biggest animal with the most meat.

Sent via Crypto KG84 Algorithm
    Bigger ain't necessarily better. Eating wise, I'd rather have a nice fat barren cow elk than a big rutting bull. Deer, probably less difference. Best eating deer I ever shot was a nice fat 4x4 from my apple orchard. He only had one testicle and the carcass weightd 203. Thats just the hanging meat. He probably didn't have much interest in chasing the does around.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley