Thread: New to this

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

New to this

I'm new to this hunting out west. I'm going after antelope for the first time ever. I'm looking at Wyoming unit 23 and 24. What is the hunting like in these areas? I'm doing a trespass type hunt. Any advice would be great.

Jared

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    If you have private land you shouldnt have any trouble getting an antelope. There is some public land but access can be difficult. Are you going this year? Good luck on your hunt!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If you can shoot out to 400 yds with wind, you will do well. Sometimes you get them closer then 100 yds as well. Open areas where you can glass critters from a long way off. Practice and you will have the time of your life!!! Wish I could get a tag every year. Or I should say afford. That is how much fun they are. Love spot and stalk!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 57 Times in 8 Posts
    Jared, I have killed over a dozen antelope. Don't be overly concerned about long range shooting. While long range shooting is nice, it is certainly not a necessity. I don't think I've ever shot an antelope over 200 yards. Get on a high point and glass, locate your antelope from a distance (at least a half a mile), and use the draws and terrain to stalk them unseen. Antelope success is over 80% in nearly every unit in Wyoming. There is a reason for that high success. If you have access to the right piece of land, you should not have a problem getting an antelope. There are definitely units that have higher numbers of big bucks, but with that said, some of our best antelope have come from non-trophy units, and our best from a unit you'd never think of as a trophy unit.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 09-25-2013 at 09:30 AM.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    400 yards i have never killed one over 100 yards most are 50 yards love the stalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    All 4 hunters in my group last year shot a pronghorn buck. Yardages were: 60, 100, 225 and 335. All 1 shot kills and a full spectrum of rifle calibers. Can't wait to get back out there this year.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    I shot mine at 300 yards with 1 shot from my 270 last year. Im very confident with it at that range and there wasnt any way to get closer where they were at. This year Im taking my model 1894 Winchester 30-30 and I will not shoot over 200 yards with it and Im not going to shoot over 150 unless I have to. Should be fun

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    I shot mine at 300 yards with 1 shot from my 270 last year. Im very confident with it at that range and there wasnt any way to get closer where they were at. This year Im taking my model 1894 Winchester 30-30 and I will not shoot over 200 yards with it and Im not going to shoot over 150 unless I have to. Should be fun
    You using Iron sights on that "Thurty-Thurty" Musket Man?? I've been thinking of taking my late father's 1894 in .32 special for Elk this year. Using some Hornady LeverRevolution ammo., it seems to like them at 75 yds. My old eyes have trouble with irons at much past that. Good luck Musket!