Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Alaskan Outfitter

I bought the Alaskan Outfitter pack this year. Does anyone else have this? How do you like it?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have Cabelas alaskan packs have used one on 2 elk hunts this year went to eberlestock just one went to intrenal frame with rifle scabbard an lighter the cabelas pack worked fine

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I went with the Badlands Ox because I got a smokin deal on it but I received nothing but positive feedback when I was looking at that pack
    A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.
    Shoot the best, Shoot PSE!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My brother uses this setup. We use it without the bag on it. We take the crossbar off the top also. Use some lightweight dry bags to carry stuff. Strap your day pack on and head out. It is a solid setup for the money.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I use one to pack game out and have a different pack for my hunting pack. Where I hunt it is only WIA so I just have a pack to carry my stuff and bow then carry something out with me to go get the frame pack. For the price, I don't think it can be beat. My buddy and I loaded about 100 pounds on ours and hiked out with it almost 3 miles last year. I'd be lying if I said it carried the weight great. I'm not sure if anything is comfortable with an extra 100 pounds. I had sore shoulders for a day then I was fine. I'm not planning on replacing mine anytime soon unless I see a better frame come up super cheap. I added a few straps on there to help secure the load. The ones provided are ok, but more is always better. I don't use the bag on it either like tttoad. I actually just use plastic trash bags for mine until I get them to the cooler. All in all, great pack for the money, but if you have 300-400 to spend I'd get one of the better packs. I'm hoping to have sore shoulders here in two weeks as I'm finally getting to go on my mule deer hunt!
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 5 Posts
    I've used it for years. Many elk and deer packed out with it. It's a great pack. Only prob I've had was its easy to over pack for 3-5 day pack in trips. My hunting partner gave ours to some friends and went to a different frame pack and packed out one deer. We went back and bought new ones. A great pack for the buck.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The packed worked out great other than didn't get to pack a deer out with it. We drug the deer about two hundred yards to a road and then drove to it.
    Uncle Ted for President!!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I packed out an elk on the frame last week. I took the first quarter in my buddies Eberlestock J34 (better to bloody his than mine on his elk) and then went back for another hind on my Cabelas frame. It worked well and was as comfortable as anything I've tried. The J34 worked well also but strictly for packing meat I'd prefer the Cabelas frame. For one pack to do everything the Eberlestock works really well. I never use the bag on the Cabelas frame, any time I'd be doing that I'd rather use the Eberlestock. I have several bungees and 25ft of paracord I keep lashed to mine. The bungees hold the hiking poles on it too so I keep them together. The poles make a world of difference on steep or slick terrain with a heavy load.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have this and used it all this season. Packed in about 6 miles solo and packed out all my gear and a boned out mule deer. Pack was 110+ pounds and it fit me well. The clip that goes across my chest simply pulled off from itself. I don't think I can get it back on, it was terribly designed. It wasn't too hard to make a temporary replacement with some paracord though. I just had to untie it every time I took the pack off. Some of the straps that you adjust for the pack to fit needed sewed so they wouldn't slip through the clasps on me. I'm going to try to fix it though and use it again. It is a big pack and holds a lot. I can fit my tent and sleeping bag INSIDE the pack on the hike in, the sleeping pad is the only thing on the outside. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130928_083453_202.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	7359

Drawbacks are the ones I mentioned about the straps, and I can't carry my rifle on my shoulder when the pack is on due to how wide it is.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Never in Doubt View Post
    I have this and used it all this season. Packed in about 6 miles solo and packed out all my gear and a boned out mule deer. Pack was 110+ pounds and it fit me well. The clip that goes across my chest simply pulled off from itself. I don't think I can get it back on, it was terribly designed. It wasn't too hard to make a temporary replacement with some paracord though. I just had to untie it every time I took the pack off. Some of the straps that you adjust for the pack to fit needed sewed so they wouldn't slip through the clasps on me. I'm going to try to fix it though and use it again. It is a big pack and holds a lot. I can fit my tent and sleeping bag INSIDE the pack on the hike in, the sleeping pad is the only thing on the outside. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130928_083453_202.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	7359

Drawbacks are the ones I mentioned about the straps, and I can't carry my rifle on my shoulder when the pack is on due to how wide it is.
    That is a heck of a packout. I am always careful not to overload the sternum strap. When you start huffing and puffing and taking bigger breaths, it puts alot more stress on that small clip.

Run without the top bar and the gun goes over the post on the frame. Cuts a little weight and profile also.