Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    They can loose sense of alot of things when all they are thinking about is girls

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    They can loose sense of alot of things when all they are thinking about is girls
    Don't we all.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hunter View Post
    Don't we all.
    Hasnt happened to me in atleast 5 minutes LOL!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    ha, i think thats exactly what it was. he was one of the sat bulls ive seen near a huge heard bull and his cows over the last few weeks. i think he was ready for his shot at a cow. and it was nt just windy, i was dman windy, which may have mixed my scent in with everything else, and it was raining hard with snow and all that sleet crap. the thing tilted its head like a confused puppy. im also thinking that may have been his first time seeing a human up close. idk..... only scent cover i had on thatmorning was the scent of my sweat from the long @$$ hike up the mountain and the scent of cold all in all it was pretty darn cool, wish i coulda atleast gotten a video of it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I like to think of scent as it pertains to a dog as a cloud. Under ideal conditions, cold and wet, the cloud will stay "down" and stationary. Under high skies, windy and dry the scent will dissipate and be blown all around causing the dog to bump the bird and you to yell at him.
    Over the years I have seen many things from a dogs nose that appear to be amazing and difficult to understand. Why does a live bird smell different than a dead bird? They must or the dog retrieving the bird wouldn't point another as we have all seen dozens of times. How does a water dog follow a duck that is swimming under the water. We've all seen that many times too.
    My only explanation is the same for elk and deer and dogs.....they do it for a living, we're all just part timers.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Well, i've talked about my hunting method so much on this forum that i'm sure you're all tired of it, but let me touch on scent.

I try to make my hunts as challenging as possible. I do this by doing no glassing, just still hunting timber. I use open sights even though i'm blind at my age. I want the game to be able to use all their senses to stay alive. Their smell is a huge one for them. I do absolutely nothing to disguise my scent. I even have all the smells from a muzzleloader. My goal to to beat the nose of the game (deer/elk) by being downwind. If I don't do it right. I deserve to be busted by their nose.

Just my method, so don't take this personally. Nobody is harder on me than me.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 3 Posts
    I had a forkie muley under 20 yards downwind of me before I shot my buck. He never smelled me or spooked and I had no scent killer at all. Sometimes they must not either be concerned or we get lucky and they don't smell us. But I bet he was rut crazed.

Sent from my iPhone using tapatalk 🎯 🇺🇸
    2013 spyder turbo, 70lbs black out and 2013 pse omen max 60# stormy hardwoods green
    Limbdriver Pro V, Tight spot quiver, Single pin Hogg Father, Fuse carbon blade.
    Scott longhorn 3, Easton FMJ's

AKA: Velvet Feather

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Ive had some close calls +/- 3-5 yds, deer and elk. Im guessing its 1/2 curiosity that keeps them close for a bit. I had 2 fawns a lead doe and 3 point staring me down and could feel their breath once. The whole time im going. " why? Are you still here?"
    http://www.solooutdoor.com/ Contact me for used optic specials!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Saw a video once where the US Army was testing wind currents by using smoke containers set on the ground. Pretty amazing how the smoke would drift a few yards and then shoot up in the sky, go a ways and then drop back down to the ground and repeat its self over and over, like a rolly coaster. My conclusion was that scent molecules will sometimes do the same thing.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Some elk just don't care. I parked the Grand Cherokee in a place I knew in North Park Co. My wife remained in the jeep while I went up the mountain to a place I knew. When I reached the summit I saw a bull in his bed, he had already seen me and I advanced to about 30ft, he just lay there so I backed out and left. Then I thought I would go back , get him up and drive him down hill so my wife could see him. Well he wouldn't get up, so I threw a stick, he got up then wouldn't leave. I began to worry about my own safety, finally we walked along the ridge line, I could not make him go down. This elk had seen humans and somehow knew he was safe, he just did not like me, I got very close to him so he didn't care about smelling me.