Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cameras

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 4 Posts

Cameras

What camera gear are you all using?

I do more off-season camera "hunting" than I do in-season gun hunting. Cameras are easier to pack than moose and I enjoy watching the wildlife all year long. I can photograph year-around and generally don't have to draw the tag!

When I hunt, I carry a little Sony point and shoot that takes pretty good photos. I recently got a more dedicated camera just for the off-season stuff but it's too big and heavy for most of my hunts.

The new one is a Canon 70d with a 100-400 EF 4.5-5.6 lense. I hope to post some photos later in the year when I find some critters to photograph. I hope to go to McNeil River with it in July, the one I DO have to draw for!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have the same lens Canon 100-400 EF 4.5-5.6. It's a nice lens but a bit heavy but I'll haul it if I want to take wildlife photos. I have a Canon 60D. I like Canon products.

Software really helps bring out the wow factor in an already good photo too. In the last few years I've been getting into software, HDR or high dynamic range software and a bunch of others. I’m finding that software is what really helps bring out what I see and or the feeling and emotion of the experience. I’m also finding the use of software in being able to take old pictures both early digital and pre digital. Taking out dust spots, noise, correcting sharpness or making contrast changes,toning, lighting, color just to list a few. The list goes on and on on what photo software can do. For me software and learning how to use them is almost as important as camera choice and composing good photos.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kevin Root For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Wow is right! Those are great photos!! I hope to be able to get some really great images too. I can't afford the high end Prime lenses that I covet but I think the set-up I have exceed my abilities already.
    I went with the 70d for the video capabilities it touts. Other than that, our set-ups are pretty much the same.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AKaviator For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by AKaviator View Post
    Wow is right! Those are great photos!! I hope to be able to get some really great images too. I can't afford the high end Prime lenses that I covet but I think the set-up I have exceed my abilities already.
    I went with the 70d for the video capabilities it touts. Other than that, our set-ups are pretty much the same.
    Thanks, for the nice words. I really enjoy photography. Like you, I do a lot of camera hunting too. It's just one more reason to get outdoors and enjoy it.

The 70D is a awesome camera for the money. They did not have that when I bought my 60D. It is true. Some of the lens options are more than the camera, and that hits the pocket book hard real fast. Take lots of pictures AKaviator and enjoy the journey. There are so many awesome things out there to see and explore.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kevin Root For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Those are amazing photos Kevin!!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobbhunts For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 17 Times in 8 Posts
    Those are some incredible pics Kevin!!!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Musket Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'll second the wow factor in those pics.

I used to hunt for photos with a canon 20d. Now I go with a digiscoping setup. My choice is swaro 80mm spotter with my htc1 phone. I doubt I'll be taking photos like Kevin's though. Obviously the only reason I went with the setup I have is to reduce the amount of objects I carry and to be able to get those close up shots while not disturbing the game. I have been thinking on getting that adapter which connects a camera up directly to the swaro scope and uses it as a 800mm lense. I don't mean to hijack the thread, but does anyone have any experience with that setup?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ando_31 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Wow!! Those are some of the nicest photos I've seen, really bright and great color. Might use one for my wallpaper! If it's OK with you?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mnhoundman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by mnhoundman View Post
    Wow!! Those are some of the nicest photos I've seen, really bright and great color. Might use one for my wallpaper! If it's OK with you?
    It's ok with me if you can get a good enough resolution from here. If you PM me with your email, I'd be more than happy to send you a higher res version of the one you like as well.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Fantastic photos!.

For hunting I don't want to carry around an SLR because of the size and weight. So, I upgraded my point and shoot this year to a Canon PowerShot SX260Hs with a 20X optical zoom lens and image stabilization. It also has the new Canon sensor which is probably more important than the number of megapixels, which is 12. Takes great pictures for a point and shoot. It's hard to go wrong with Canon.

One of the most important things is to set your file size to large in your camera settings. You can have great everything but if it is not saved at a high resolution you're out of luck when you blow it up.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to hoshour For This Useful Post: