Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to this

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

New to this

Hey guys I'm from Georgia and plan on doing some pronghorn and mule deer hunting in the next few years. My biggest problem is trying to decide on what kind of optics to get. I was thinking of a redfield 20#60#80 spotting scope and some bushnell bone collector binos what is your opinions and why.

Thanks jared

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Buy some 8 power binos made by Zeiss. I think 10x50 binos are too heavy and I don't think the spoting scope is worth the effort. JMO

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Jared, shoot me a text or call me sometime. Ill put you together a package price on binos and a spotter. Andrew
    (775)513-0568
    http://www.solooutdoor.com/ Contact me for used optic specials!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You will have to figure out your budget before figuring out your optics. Your optics will be your best friend in the wide open long distances you will be hunting. Buy the best optics you can buy. Right now, I have Leupold 10x42 binos. I think they are the cascade model if I remember right off the top of my head. They are great for the price, but I know I could have gotten more for a higher price. As for a spotter, we are using an old spotter that I think Busnell makes. It isn't that great, but it is better than nothing. A new/better spotter is on my list before next hunting season (2014).

As far as your suggestions, I wouldn't even bother with redfield. They are pretty low quality. If you can afford more, I'd go with a different brand. I don't have any input on the Bone Collector binos. I don't know anyone that has those and I've never even looked through them. I'd say your best bet is to figure out how much you can spend and spend that amount. Money will definitely buy quality when it comes to optics.
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Glass is 1 of those things where you get what you pay for. I would not buy cheap glass. If your budget is limited instead of buying a cheaper spotting scope and binos I would buy a high quality pair of binos and wait till next year to buy a spotting scope if you have to. A good pair of 10x42 binos will do alot more for you then a cheap spotting scope will.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by xtreme View Post
    I think 10x50 binos are too heavy and I don't think the spoting scope is worth the effort. JMO
    Where is the "effort" in using a spotting scope? Having to pull it out of your pack and put it on a tripod? As opposed to hiking another mile to get a closer look with the binos?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSurArcher View Post
    Where is the "effort" in using a spotting scope? Having to pull it out of your pack and put it on a tripod? As opposed to hiking another mile to get a closer look with the binos?
    Ha! If your only using 8 power binos the walk may only be a 1/4 mile....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'd get some 10x43 binos, as nice as you can afford.

a spotter is sometimes nice from the car or pack to be able to tell whether or not an animal is worth pursuing vs wasting time and chasing/getting close only to find out with your 10x binos to turn around...

If you asked would you rather have a set of binos for $250 and a spotter for $250 or 1 set of binos or spotter for $500, I think I'd say get $500 binos and in the future get a nice spotter.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I would skip the spotting scope.. Buy an 8x 10x or even 12x. Personally I use the Nikon Monarch 7 in 10x. Hunt elk and deer in Az and have worked well for me. Buy the most expensive binocs you can afford.. Don't skimp on this.. Cheapies are not good reek havoc on your eyes glassing for extended time periods. Also you can always put your binocs on a tripod as well.. That's helps huge..

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I started with cheap optics and was never satisfied. To many times I needed that extra bit of sharpness to tell a tine from a limb, or that extra minute of daylight. I ended up with Zeiss Victory FL-T 10x42 and 8x50 binos. I use the 10x out west and the 8x around home for whitetail. I found them as demos and got a great price on the pair. I also picked up a demo Nikon ED50 spotter I really like. Spend some time shopping and get the most you can for your dollar, if you do it right the first time you only have to buy once.