Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Eastern idaho moose

I hear this part of the state is better for moose than up north. Looking for some information not anyones honey hole.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Since moose is once in a lifetime I would think people would be willing to share info. Moose numbers are down a bit in some areas over here as compared to some years ago, but other areas seem to be pretty good still. They are big animals, so the first thing to assess is how far can you pack one out, do you have pack stock, or would you need to find one closer to a road or river to get him out? Also how big a bull would you be happy with, and how long could you devote to the hunt. The answers to those questions will suggest a unit or two to think about.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Well like you said JRice its once in a lifetime so would like to find something in the 40" range and any thing bigger would be a plus.I have no pack stock available to me so on my back with a pack frame or on the four wheeler maybe both.It looks like most of the hunts are a long season and i know the snow can get deep over there and limit your access. I am not sure if going early would be better or going later when the snow flies and risk not being able to get to some areas would be better. My job would allow for a couple of week to ten day stents through the coarse of the season over there. Was looking at area 70 and 73 last night while doing some research do you know anything about either one of these areas. I have got acess to snow machines if later is better. Thanks for responding.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 4 Posts
    I've kind of seen it this way, for people who have drawn once in a lifetime tags, it makes sense to share info with someone who hasn't drawn, or to even share specific spots with someone who draws the tag.

However, for those of us who haven't drawn and have researched areas, pointing someone to the better units only creates more competition for tags. Hunting magazines provide that kind of info, but they profit from sharing that info.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    One advantage to going later when its colder is you will have more time to pack the meat out. I think they are a little easier to find later in the year. I have seen them throughout the fall while deer hunting but the biggest bulls I have seen were end of Nov in over a foot of snow and the bigger bulls I have seen were always alone or with one other bull. I dont know anything about the areas you are talking about but the first thing I would look into right now on any moose hunt is how much the wolves have affected the area.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    pm sent your way

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'd go later, I found my big Wyoming bull by tracking him in the fresh snow. Also, the two big blizzards before my 3rd trip caused some of the moose to move down in elevation a little concentrating them in certain areas. The downside is too much snow and you can't get around.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hey IDELKFVR, send me a PM with your number and I'll give you a shout within the next couple of days. Ok, now that I think about it, I don't know how to do a PM (or retrieve one) on this site. I can't get anything to drop down under "thread tools".

Thanks
    Congratulations
    JRice,
    If you click I'm the persons handle it will give you a couple options. One of which is private message. If you click that you can send a message to that person.

As for checking your messages, the easiest way I find to look is when you log in or refresh your screen at the top of the screen there is a notifications button. If you have a new message it will say something like 1 notification.....or something like that.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks Work2hunt. I also see the "Private Messages" button on the bar at the top of the page now, not sure how I missed that...