Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arrow Building

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks for all of the replies everyone. I think I will be getting a fletching jig and start fletching my own arrows with my own equipment (I have been borrowing a buddies jig). I think I'll still have someone cut the arrows for me until I get an arrow saw. Couple of questions again...

What type of fletchings does everyone use? I see one for blazers or feathers. I'm looking at either Blazers or fusion vanes (shorter style). I have shot blazers in the past with no issues, just wondering if there are any noticeable differences with blazers vs fusions.

Second, what does everyone use to square their arrows after being cut?

Last, right now I shoot 28.5" arrows with a 28.5 inch draw. The insert of my arrow goes to the end of my shelf with my broadhead sticking out past the shelf of the bow. I have been trying to decide if I should go to a shorter arrow and start cutting my arrows to 27.5 and add a 125 grain broadhead instead of a 100 grain broadhead. Thoughts?
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    i am using blazer vanes and i have the Bohning Helix jig that puts a true helix in the vanes. i have found it very easy to use and inexpensive. the difference it makes for my arrow flight was a lot better than just a regular 3 degree offset that my graying jig allowed.

i noticed my Goldtip 5575s with slick trick 100s had better accuracy down range with the Helix on my arrows. my groups at 50 and 60 yards were much improved with broadheads.

Sent via Crypto KG84 Algorithm

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I was wondering what is the purpose of the "cock" vane, i.e. to indicate the spine? - And also what is its correlation to the nock? - And correlation to the bow rest, e.g. for flight? Just getting some info as a beginner. Thanks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I actually shoot all the same color fletchings on my arrows. Typically, the one off color fletching, in my opinion, is just to help you quickly orient your arrow the direction it should sit in your rest. For me, I shoot with my fletching pointing up (if I had an off color, this one would point up). As far as your nock goes, it goes on and you twist it where your fletching sits in the rest like you want it. I want my top fletching to run parallel with my bow string. My buddy shoots with his down and another guy I know shoots his to the side so I'm not sure if it is personal preference or what, but I know some arrows fly better out of certain rests with a certain orientation. Just do some experimenting and see how the arrow flies for you and your setup. Just make sure the arrow fletchings aren't hitting any part of your rest if you shoot a drop away and make sure you orient your arrow the same every time and you should be good to go.
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Started building my own last year. After a few dozen...I think I finally got it right. Early on I had all kinds of trouble and funny arrow flight, but with some advice from the local shop and trying a number of setups I got it dialed in. Best of luck.