Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .270 Handloads

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

.270 Handloads

Making up some loads for a Ruger MKll Ultralight in .270 using 140 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips. Have tried Alliant Reloder 22 and IMR4831 so far, though only loads near the top end of the spectrum. Neither powder showed very good accuracy in the ammounts I used them. Will be trying some IMR or H4350 next. That appears in numerous publications as the one for accuracy for a 140 grain bullet in the .270. Anyone have any pet loads they would like to share with me? using CCI 200 primers

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've never loaded .270 but for the loads I have workered up seem to get the best accuracy with a hot load up to max sometimes only changing the charge by half a grain sometimes 10ths of a grain to get one cutting bullet holes an have done well with case length that still fit in the mag

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    No matter what caliber, I usually start at the middle of the suggested powder charge and then load 3. I increase the charge by 1/2 grain until I reach the max listed. I then shoot 3 shot groups going from the lowest loaded to the highest. I also give the barrel plenty of time to cool down between groups.

You are using one of the heaviest bullet weights, so I would tend to stay with slower burning powder. I like the Reloader powders and they have performed well for me. Try the RE 20 & 17. Good luck and keep us posted on how you are doing.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have been trying out different stuff for my .270 for my deer hunt coming up. I think I've decided on 58.6 gns RL-22 with a 130 grain Hornady SST! Tried the IMR 4350, I liked it, I just ran out of it. Also heard its extremely temp sensitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL
    TT Xtreme FC Pro
    Custom Black Gold Ascent 4 pin
    GT Velocity 300's tipped with 125 Shuttle t's weighing 490 grains!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Both my 270's like 58gr of H4831 under a 140gr accubond. It is a max load by my book, so work up to it.

The Ruger American with a 22" barrel gets 2925fps from the load and the average of three 3 shot groups testing it was .625"

The custom gun with a 24" barrel gets 2950fps from the load. I've shot 4 groups with it so far, cleaning between them, and has made 3 ragged hole groups. The other was about 1.5" but I think it was due to me and the wind that day, it was wicked.

I use Winchester Lg rifle primers.

Thanks
    Congratulations

pet load 270

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsky View Post
    Making up some loads for a Ruger MKll Ultralight in .270 using 140 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips. Have tried Alliant Reloder 22 and IMR4831 so far, though only loads near the top end of the spectrum. Neither powder showed very good accuracy in the ammounts I used them. Will be trying some IMR or H4350 next. That appears in numerous publications as the one for accuracy for a 140 grain bullet in the .270. Anyone have any pet loads they would like to share with me? using CCI 200 primers
    I've had this load since 1965,h4831 59.5 grains 130 nosler partion or the accubond,cci 200 primer,winchester cases in my pre 64, rem in my mod 700. The most important thing you need to do is find the sweetspot with seating depth of bullet.Once there never change that spot.As far as ballistic tips go, i think they are a poor choice for your .270.Just my thoughts,good luck,Larry

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I used Ballistic Tips in my .257 Wby and they really blew up and destroyed a lot of meat. Somewhere in this section on an earlier post are some pictures of the antelope.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Bigsky, I hunt elk/deer in Az with a Savage 111 in .270... Best load I have had for accuracy, velocity and the end result taking 3 elk and 2 deer thus far has been in Hornady brass, Nosler Accubond 140g, 49g of H4350 with Federal primers. I know that every gun likes what it likes but experiment, its always fun to try different loads til you find one that satisfies you liking...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by nvarcher View Post
    I have been trying out different stuff for my .270 for my deer hunt coming up. I think I've decided on 58.6 gns RL-22 with a 130 grain Hornady SST! Tried the IMR 4350, I liked it, I just ran out of it. Also heard its extremely temp sensitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I use a lot of IMR4350. I haven't really found it to be too temperature sensitive and I've killed deer using it while it was hovering around zero degrees. Then again I wasn't bench shooting either so I don't know how much of a difference it actually made but those bucks certainly were dead.

sent from my typewriter

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I use IMR4350 in my .270 with all bullet weights, I use the data straight out of the Nosler manual. I have never used a lot of CCI primers, they were usually in short supply so most of my data involves Winchester WLR primers. I'm curious about why Larry thinks the Ballistic Tips are a poor choice, I have used them with great success for many years on whitetails and pronghorns in both 130 grain and 140 grain.

Bob

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BobT For This Useful Post: