FISH AND WILDLIFE SERVICE
CONTINGENCY PLAN FACT SHEET
September 27, 2013
The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (Service) works with others to conserve, protect and enhance
fish, wildlife and plants and their habitats for the continuing benefit of the American people. The
Service manages nearly 150 million acres of land and waters in the national wildlife refuge
system, operates 73 national fish hatcheries and is responsible for implementing and enforcing
some of our Nation’s most important environmental laws, such as the Endangered Species Act,
Migratory Bird Treaty Act, Marine Mammal Protection Act, The Lacey Act, and international
agreements like the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species.
In the event of a lapse in appropriations and pursuant to law, the Service will close most
operations, but certain excepted activities will continue.
• National Wildlife Refuges will be closed to public access. Visitor Centers and other
buildings will be closed.
• All activities will be canceled on federal lands and public buildings until the government
reopens. This includes hunting and fishing activities on public lands.
• No permitting work or consultations will occur with respect to the Endangered Species
Act, Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act, the Convention on Trade in Endangered
Species, the Lacy Act or the National Environmental Policy Act.
• Employees and others may not volunteer their services on behalf of Service functions or
on federal lands.
Services and Programs that would remain operational
The Service has designated the following exempted categories:
• Programs financed by other than annual appropriations.
• Activities expressly authorized by law.
• Necessary activities to protect life and property.
NAME OF SERVICE/PROGRAM
Federal Aid in Wildlife Restoration Non-lapsing funding sources available
Sport Fish Restoration Non-lapsing funding sources available
Natural Resource Damage Assessment
Non- lapsing funding sources available
Refuge Law Enforcement Emergency and/or excepted activity
Law Enforcement Emergency and/or excepted activity
Firefighting Emergency and/or excepted activity
Care and feeding activities at hatcheries
and captive breeding facilities
Emergency and/or excepted activity