Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it worth it?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is it worth it?

So, last year I bought my first elk preference point and was thinking about doing it again...until I saw the 2013 detailed drawings. There were nearly 10,000 eligible applicants and only 261 tags issued statewide! So now I'm considering just cutting my loss and looking elsewhere, just curious what others think about this setup they have in UT, or what I'd call the elk powerball

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 14 Times in 2 Posts
    Always a chance to draw in UT, not all the tags go to max point holders so I personally think it is good to stick with it, got to pay to play in about any state these days and yes I think there all worth it hopefully one day ill get a tag but till then I bide my time and keep trying!!!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 29 Times in 4 Posts
    Power ball in Utah is about right, even as a resident it's hard to draw but I figure someone has to draw. You have better odds coming out to the western hunt expo to try and get a expo tag for the unit you want to hunt! Good luck to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shoot STR8

Thanks
    Congratulations
    50% go to the max pool guys, remaining 50% are random but apps are weighted because of Bonus Points. A little math will tell you how long it will be before you're in the max pool for a given hunt with stats staying the same. Add in the license cost and you have a dollar amount. Then look at the random side and if you're lucky, you draw the first year. If your luck sucks, you're in it till you draw in the max pool.
    Only you can decide if it's worth it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WapitiBob View Post
    Only you can decide if it's worth it.
    I agree. What is worth it to 1 might not be worth it to another. When I started getting points a few years ago I decided UT was not worth it to me. A lot of my decision was because I decided to apply in NV and I didnt want to get chasing tags in to many places that take alot of points to draw. Nothing wrong with putting in for long shots but I wouldnt do it in to many states because you could end up with alot of points, no tags, and still be a long ways from drawing the way point creep is going in alot of places.
    "Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I fee. One is the colors that fly high and proud The red, the white, the blue. The other one's got a rattlesnake With a simple statement made "Don't tread on me" is what it says and I'll take that to my grave. Because this is me. I'm proud to be American and strong in my beliefs. And I've said it before but I'll say it again 'Cause my family's always fought and died to save this land. And a country boy is all I'll ever be."

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If you are only going to apply for elk then I don't think it's worth it. But if you are going to apply for elk, deer, pronghorn, general deer, and OIL tags then I think it is more than worth it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yah, the biggest issue I see is becoming a max point-holder is never going to happen in my lifetime. I'm guessing I have 35 years of hunting left in me and currently there's 1,500 some in the 5-points bucket alone. If they're giving out only 2-3 tags in the premier units each year at a 50/50 clip to max points and bonus points, those are insurmountable odds if you ask me, especially if you're competing with a few thousand other guys for 50% of the 2 or 3 tags. So that leaves me with settling for a mid-range unit, which I know is still probably better than most tags in other states, but if and when I get it I'd have to go alone. So for me to drive all the way to UT (from MN) by myself for a non-premier zone and wait 7-10 years, I'd rather just say the heck with it. Don't want to be too gloomy, but that's how I see it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Your deciding factor might be your budget. Really nothing to loose, but a little money each year. How important is the chance at a little larger bull. Lots of otc areas in multiple states will give you great hunts and some of the private landowner tags sound like they can be just as good or better than the le tags without the circus of the draw.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 29 Times in 2 Posts
    It may be a powerball, but the last Eastman article summed it up. No other state gives you as good as opportunity for a b&c bull. Just saying.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 2 Posts
    35 years is a long time. Apply Apply Apply half thos applicants or more will be dead or done hunting in 35 years.