Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

High Uintas Wilderness?

Just curious if anyone has hunted muleys up in the high country of the uintas, like above treeline? I've flown over it quite a bit in my Cessna but never low enough to see critters. Looks like awesome country to find a buck though. I know there is quite a bunch of hiking activity up there but figure if I can get off the trails I could probably get away from alot of it. Let me know if you have any experience hunting it. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    A long time ago my father hunted it every year, now with all the hikers and backpackers it's a little over run with people, every basin has someone hiking in it, the rifle hunt shouldn't be to bad but the snow gets deep early up there. We tried the muzz hunt a couple years ago and I doubt I'll go back.
    TICK
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I hunt it every year for elk. You don't see very many deer up in the high country, but when you do it is usually a good buck. If you know where to get away from the hikers you can have an area all to yourself.
    Shoot STR8

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The rifle deer hunt in the High Uintas is a tricky one because most of the deer have started to leave the area. a few years ago they started a combo rifle deer/elk tag so you could hunt both species during the elk hunt. The hunt was created because so many of the deer had left the area before the start of the rifle deer season. Since Utah changed to the 30 unit draw system the eliminated the combo hunt (I'm not sure why, the biologist told me he was not fast enough getting the proposal in, but that was a couple years ago and it still hasn't happened) so rifle deer hunters are left with a difficult hunt. As has been mentioned there are a lot of hikers, however, I still see a lot of animals living at the tree line however they are very elusive (as big deer are).
    All Work And No Play Is No Good At All

Thanks
    Congratulations
    A few years back by buddies kid got drawn for the junior elk hunt and we saw some big bucks standing in the huge open meadows. Archery deer season was open and there was tons of hunters chasing them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've hunted the Uintas a lot in my life. Never seen a big buck up high there. Don't know why, but the bucks in the areas ive always hunted are down lower in the meadows, etc. The elk on the other hand can be up high and in dark timber in that country...especially during the now hunt.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    this year ive pulled a 9 d muzzleload hunt for around the south slope,,,has anybody got any good ideas on where to find some deer around there in 3rd week of september?