Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hunting BLM Land

If I'm hunting on BLM land and I come up to a normal unlocked ranch gate, I can go through it, right? I assume it's OK, just want to make sure.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 17 Times in 8 Posts
    It would depend if its BLM land on the other side of the gate or private. If its BLM you can.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 19 Times in 2 Posts
    If it is BLM on both sides of the fence, you shouldn't have any issues crossing. Just remember to close the gate behind you if you open it... nothing like letting the cattle out to get the rancher on your side!
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

Thanks
    Congratulations

Mohsin

Musket Man

It would depend if its BLM land on the other side of the gate or private. If its BLM you can.
    If you are looking for fast success exams then join today to explore complete pass 4 sure resources.For more information visit our ICDL website and Kyoto University main page also on University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff best wishes

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Doesn't matter who owns the land on the other side. It depends on whether the road is open to public access on the other side (public easement). If the easement stops at the fence, you're done. If the easement continues, you're fine to continue on. Lots of public roads cross pvt land out west.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    this is where national forest maps (if your in an area that they cover) come in handy. I was hunting an area in Thunder Basin National Grassland a few years back. I came to a gate just like you described. BLM on 1 side, and Private land on the other. 99% of the vehicles stopped at the gate. BLM maps showed the bLM lands, the road, and private on the other side. But the national forest map clearly showed that the road was a Public Access road and was highlighted as such. It was public access to a larger chunk of BLM on the other side of the private land. So we crossed the gate, traveled the access road to the public chunk, and had a great antelope hunt. We watched many other trucks stop at that gate and turn around. It is good to know the laws!

If your area is not in a Forest service area in which they have a map for it, call your local game warden and they may be able to help.

and.............always close those gates or you will anger many people/locals............not a smart idea!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I was talking BLM on both sides. I figured it was OK but I started second guessing myself. And yes, I do know about shutting gates. I've been hunting over 40 years and have never left a gate open.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    It also depends on the private land and if it's posted. In Idaho if it's private land and cultivated it does not need to be posted and the regulations define cultivated. Private land that is not cultivated has to be posted "No Trespassing" and with orange paint every 660 feet. Typically on gates, most private landowners post "No Trespassing" and have locks if they don't want the public through. I did run into a problem a couple of years ago where a private landownew wast posting "No Trespassing" on a gate they had no authority on. They just didn't want hunters driving near the backend of their property.

I have noticed in the last few years more landowners posting their land in Idaho.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I never go through closed gates unless I know for sure it's ok. That means to me asking the BLM, or land owner.