Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    What is a "Yellow Post" site?
    Still wondering what this is.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by tonytrim View Post
    So, a group of us went out to D19 this weekend at a yellow post site that rangers have never even visited while the group has been using for the last 20 years. We received 3 visits and notice to vacate because of govt shutdown. When we refused, they gave us 24 hrs or $10, 000 fine and or 6 mths in jail. Total bs.hopefully the funding happens before this weekend in D14.
    tonytrim, Were you hunting in the San Bernardino National Forest, or on BLM Land? Thanks.
    Patron Life Member, NRA; Life Member RMEF, SCI, NAHHC, NSRPA

Thanks
    Congratulations
    BLM is allowing access on unimproved lands for all activities. Forest Service is different!

FISH AND WILDLIFE SERVICE
    CONTINGENCY PLAN FACT SHEET
    September 27, 2013
    The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (Service) works with others to conserve, protect and enhance
    fish, wildlife and plants and their habitats for the continuing benefit of the American people. The
    Service manages nearly 150 million acres of land and waters in the national wildlife refuge
    system, operates 73 national fish hatcheries and is responsible for implementing and enforcing
    some of our Nation’s most important environmental laws, such as the Endangered Species Act,
    Migratory Bird Treaty Act, Marine Mammal Protection Act, The Lacey Act, and international
    agreements like the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species.
    In the event of a lapse in appropriations and pursuant to law, the Service will close most
    operations, but certain excepted activities will continue.
    • National Wildlife Refuges will be closed to public access. Visitor Centers and other
    buildings will be closed.
    • All activities will be canceled on federal lands and public buildings until the government
    reopens. This includes hunting and fishing activities on public lands.

• No permitting work or consultations will occur with respect to the Endangered Species
    Act, Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act, the Convention on Trade in Endangered
    Species, the Lacy Act or the National Environmental Policy Act.
    • Employees and others may not volunteer their services on behalf of Service functions or
    on federal lands.
    Services and Programs that would remain operational
    The Service has designated the following exempted categories:
    • Programs financed by other than annual appropriations.
    • Activities expressly authorized by law.
    • Necessary activities to protect life and property.
    NAME OF SERVICE/PROGRAM
    REASON
    Federal Aid in Wildlife Restoration Non-lapsing funding sources available
    Sport Fish Restoration Non-lapsing funding sources available
    Natural Resource Damage Assessment
    Fund
    Non- lapsing funding sources available
    Refuge Law Enforcement Emergency and/or excepted activity
    Law Enforcement Emergency and/or excepted activity
    Firefighting Emergency and/or excepted activity
    Care and feeding activities at hatcheries
    and captive breeding facilities
    Emergency and/or excepted activity
    Patron Life Member, NRA; Life Member RMEF, SCI, NAHHC, NSRPA

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I think confusion is about Fish & Wildlife managed lands vs USFS National Forests. They are completely different. Havn't seen anything that says the Nat forests are closed, only the improved campsites and other IMPROVED areas they manage. What you posted is a directive from the USF&W and says nothing about USFS and the National forest.

I just Googled "National Forest closures-Shutdown" and all thats closed is "Improved sites".
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 10-08-2013 at 03:53 PM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    I think confusion is about Fish & Wildlife managed lands vs USFS National Forests. They are completely different. Havn't seen anything that says the Nat forests are closed, only the improved campsites and other IMPROVED areas they manage. What you posted is a directive from the USF&W and says nothing about USFS and the National forest.

I just Googled "National Forest closures-Shutdown" and all thats closed is "Improved sites".
    This is how I am understanding it too CC. I hunted a national forest this past weekend, only thing closed were the campsites managed by the forest service.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I called the Meeker office yesterday and the lady said you can still hunt the Forrest service land. Just that the public facilities/campgrounds would be closed. Which I'm guessing is for like RV's/campers with plumbing/electric services.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    "Big brother" can kiss my ass!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    We were up in the Sequoia National Forest this past weekend and the bigger campgrounds along the Kern River and the Troy Meadow/Troy Meadow Overflow were still open and still in use. I didn't stop to see if the toilets, etc, were still opened up, but people were in using the campsites.

The Kernville paper said they did close down a bunch of the smaller campgrounds for the winter.
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.
    From the Zen Backpacking Site

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I too was out hunting last weekend on D19, San Bernardino national forrest land. The gates were open so we went in, camped and hunted as normal. Saturday afternoon a forrest ranger went by every campsite telling everyone camping was not allowed due to the government shutdown and had till the end of the day to leave. Colorado Cowboy, a yellow post site is an official federal campground. There is a post on those where u are allowed to camp, under normal circumstances...I believe u can hint but just can't camp or stay over night. It really sucks and hopefully this shutdown ends soon...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I guess every NF has their own rules. Here in Co you can set up a hunting camp (or for that matter any camp) almost anywhere in the NF and are allowed to stay for 2 weeks. I guess that the rules are different there as there are really way more people and they (the NF) need more controls.

I will say this tho...if I were camped there and the site had no improvements (eg. tables, bbqs, fire rings or pit toilets), I would have told the him to write a ticket and I'd see him in court! But thats just me!

The real curious thing is that all the improved NF campgrounds here in Co have camp hosts. These are people (mostly retired) who stay at the camp all season. They are basically in charge and clean eveyrhing, collect fees, empty trash and do everything. The FS Rangers are usually nowhere to be found. They get free camping (and maybe a small amt of $$) and it costs the gov't almost nothing. As long as they are there, it doesn't make a lot of sense to close the campgrounds, especially during hunting season and lots of fees coming in. Studid is as stupid does!!!
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 10-09-2013 at 05:47 PM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Aldous Huxley