Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Exclamation Effect of Government Shutdown on USFS Wilderness Areas

This is posted on the U.S. Forest Service website:

Due to the lapse in agency funding, the sale of all types of permits (i.e., recreation, firewood, forest products, mineral materials for example) are suspended, recreation.gov reservations are suspended, and all federally owned recreation sites are closed. All offices are closed. These services will be available once funding is restored.

Law enforcement, fire suppression, and other essential services will continue without interruption.

This web site will remain available for public safety announcements and updates such as for wildfire, floods, and so forth. We will attempt to make timely updates about public health and safety on these web pages as appropriate. We sincerely regret this inconvenience.

Question: What effect does this have on Wilderness Area access. I discussed this with another member yesterday, and we reasoned that if USFS has no one to sell/issue you a permit, they have no one to enforce that requirement. After thinking about this, I can envision an over zealous game warden issuing a citation for hunting in a closed area. Any thoughts on this problem?
    Patron Life Member, NRA; Life Member RMEF, SCI, NAHHC, NSRPA

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 6 Posts
    If it were me, I'd go anyway. Let then try to catch me!! I don't think a game warden isgoing to go into the backcountry w/o someone from the USFS with them. I've only seen wardens a couple of time in wilderness areas and they were with USFS Rangers.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 19 Times in 3 Posts
    For those wildernesses that require a permit.....yeah that can be an issue. However, CA DF&W (state game wardens) can/will not issue a citation for this violation (wilderness permit), as it is a federal statute. There is no state statute (to my knowledge) that governs this on federal land. However, the USFS law enforcement division can, and as their website documents, the government shutdown does not affect them (law enforcement division). I would call that division and see what their intention is for this issue???
    BOHNTR )))----------->

B&C / P&Y Official Measurer

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    Unless the gates are locked and its posted you cant walk in I would go! You bought the tag and they sure aint gonna give you a refund.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    Unless the gates are locked and its posted you cant walk in I would go! You bought the tag and they sure aint gonna give you a refund.
    Agreed Musket Man, I'm going on BLM.....USFS lands are OURS (the taxpayers) as well. Go hunting!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to shootbrownelk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Pretty raw deal. Even wilderness areas that have permits online are down. I got the below response when trying to buy one. Even if you bought one before the shutdown.... Pretty raw deal I say.

Our Apologies...

The Recreation.gov website is not available due to a lapse in funding for the federal government.

If you already have a reservation which is either partially or fully impacted by facility closures, we will automatically cancel that reservation and issue a full refund to the credit card used for the initial purchase transaction. No additional cancellation fees will be charged to the customer for reservation cancellations as a result of facility closures.

We invite you to return to this site as the situation evolves in order to obtain additional information about how services and reservations may be affected.

If you are not automatically redirected to a U.S.D.A. site with links for additional information, please click here (http://www.usda.gov/fundinglapse.htm) now.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    I'm interested to know, too, as I'm planning on going back out next week into a wilderness area. I'm hoping it won't matter by then.

I'm currently thinking it's going to depend - some of the areas just require a pass that you can self-issue so they know that somebody is in there. In places, like around Whitney, they have quotas for how many people can be back there and have to be issued by a person, so those would obviously be affected.

I would think that self-issue passes with no charge wouldn't be affected.

Quote Originally Posted by Sawfish View Post
    This is posted on the U.S. Forest Service website:

Due to the lapse in agency funding, the sale of all types of permits (i.e., recreation, firewood, forest products, mineral materials for example) are suspended, recreation.gov reservations are suspended, and all federally owned recreation sites are closed. All offices are closed. These services will be available once funding is restored.

Law enforcement, fire suppression, and other essential services will continue without interruption.

This web site will remain available for public safety announcements and updates such as for wildfire, floods, and so forth. We will attempt to make timely updates about public health and safety on these web pages as appropriate. We sincerely regret this inconvenience.

Question: What effect does this have on Wilderness Area access. I discussed this with another member yesterday, and we reasoned that if USFS has no one to sell/issue you a permit, they have no one to enforce that requirement. After thinking about this, I can envision an over zealous game warden issuing a citation for hunting in a closed area. Any thoughts on this problem?
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.
    From the Zen Backpacking Site

Thanks
    Congratulations
    So, a group of us went out to D19 this weekend at a yellow post site that rangers have never even visited while the group has been using for the last 20 years. We received 3 visits and notice to vacate because of govt shutdown. When we refused, they gave us 24 hrs or $10, 000 fine and or 6 mths in jail. Total bs.hopefully the funding happens before this weekend in D14.
    - NRA Life of Duty Member

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 6 Posts
    What is a "Yellow Post" site?
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by tonytrim View Post
    So, a group of us went out to D19 this weekend at a yellow post site that rangers have never even visited while the group has been using for the last 20 years. We received 3 visits and notice to vacate because of govt shutdown. When we refused, they gave us 24 hrs or $10, 000 fine and or 6 mths in jail. Total bs.hopefully the funding happens before this weekend in D14.
    So you cannot spend the night on land owned by the taxpayers (you), which costs the government nothing. Yet, they are threatening to incarcerate you for up for six months of room and board at taxpayer expense. Pretty much a microscopic view of what is wrong with the reasoning of the current administration. I would like to see the statute authorizing that procedure. Probably another "executive order". I hope you notify your congressman.
    Patron Life Member, NRA; Life Member RMEF, SCI, NAHHC, NSRPA