Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Co gmu 47 help!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 10 Times in 1 Post

Co gmu 47 help!

I will be hunting the early rifle season this September. This will be my first time hunting this area. I was planning on hunting the Midway Creek basin until recently when I heard a dismal report for that area.

Work and distance has limited me to do all my scouting on google earth, maps, forums, ect. I was able to connect with a couple local biologists and wardens, and they all seemed to offer the same advice. Look high, be patient.

Was what I heard correct? Are most of the bucks above tree line, or should I spend more time in the timber? Are there any drainages or habitat types I should be concentrating on?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Feel free to send me a message or email.

Thanks!

Zach Pawlowski

zdpawlowski@gmail.com

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 10 Posts
    Go as high and far as you can get and glass glass glass! Good luck

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I would be interested in hearing how you do on your early rifle hunt in 47. I'm hunting 45 which adjoins 47 to the east. I have a muzzleloader tag, which I think is the same season (9/14 - 9/22). Most of the bucks I've seen in 45 were above timberline bedding down in the highest patches of scrub pine. But there are bucks down lower too. They are pretty well spread out. But very easy to spot when they are above timberline.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Where they are at depends on pressure too and not just hunters but that area gets alot of hikers too. How many points did it take you to draw it?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the info guys. Eric I will definitely let you know how it goes.

Musket Man, it sounds like there will be plenty of hikers as well as elk hunters. They gave out 20 tags for this season, 3 of them went to NRs. There were 7 NR applicants and I was able to draw one with 0 points.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I thought it would be harder to draw. I had the muzzle loader tag 2 years ago but I never got to 47. I would avoid Aspen area at all cost. That place is the biggest high dollar, rich people, tourist trap I ever seen. Surprisingly they were pretty friendly and not against hunting from the few I met. But that side is where most of the hikers come from.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Believe me Aspen will be avoided! I think the reason the tag is so easy to get (I believe its easiest E1R tag to get with no points) is because of the success rate... Its lookin like about 10% on average over the past 5 years and according to the stats page, only one deer was taken last year!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    On the bright side you didnt burn any points to get the tag and the worst that can happen is you will have an awesome backpacking trip in some beautiful country Be sure to stop at Doc Holidays in Glenwood springs and have a buffalo burger!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I've spent some time in there during archery season, I saw more deer closer to aspen then further away. Don't let the people scare you away, they scare more hunters than deer. Not a ton of deer in that unit but you'll find pockets of them here and there way above timberline in the rocks.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to goindeep For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Opener is quickly approaching and I will be headed out Thursday am. I just wanted to sincerely thank those of you who offered your advice! I am new to the forum and wasn't sure how willing others would be to help out.

Regards