Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

New to the forum. Interested in hunting mule deer and elk

Hi to all. I am new to the forum. This seems to be the best forum for the western states. I live in Georgia and have been hunting for about 20 years now. I have hunted Kansas, Arkansas, and Louisiana mostly for waterfowl. All DIY on public land. So, I am fairly familiar with crowds and how to hunt around them. Now I am wanting to hunt mule deer and elk DIY on public land. I have no experience in hunting these animals. Only deer, hogs, and turkey here in GA but I feel that I am a good hunter/outdoorsman. I have limited on turkeys for 11 years in a row, which seems to be challenging in these swamps haha. So with that being said what states should I look into for elk and mule deer on the same hunt. I have looked into all of the draw and unit situations for several states. Its all a little over whelming. Idaho seems to have the most OTC tags with the least amount of hunters. That could just be my perception. I am not looking to kill record animals, just respectable public land animals. My main focus seems to be on Idaho, but any and all advice will be appreciated. PMs are preffered

Thanks
    Congratulations
    First . Welcome. I don't get on here a lot but am surprised nobody has responded and welcomed you. Maybe people pm'd you but I figured I would just respond in case people haven't.

You might want to look at WY for non-res. You are too late to get a pref point this year but I know that there are plenty of general areas in WY that you can usually draw with 1 point. You can get it for sure if you do special, but that is a grand and I don't think worth it. WY general areas have some good opportunities if you are willing to get at least 1 mile off road. I know of 4 bulls killed this year on general 3 5-5 and 1 6-6 One of the 5s was mine. Some of these areas are gen deer too.

I think Colorado has some good OTC tags too. I am actually thinking of trying Northern Colorado just because. And for someone that has truly hunted turkeys back east (used to live in Ohio / Kentucky) Elk are just BIG turkeys. They get hung up, they won't leave the "hens" sometimes and sometimes you just have to be lucky rather than good.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Welcome. I know choosing a particular state and then area to hunt big game can be daunting, but you have to start somewhere. This forum has a lot of hunters who are more than willing to give advice and share their knowledge. The key to getting started is research, which it seems you have started. Its too bad you didn't apply/buy some pref points this year, as this could jumpstart your hunts a little. Budget some money and get some points in Wyoming and Colorado for sure. Aslo start your hunting with a doe/cow tag as they are easier to draw and the success is really high. it will also give you a great introduction to these states. Wyoming antelope is also a pretty easy way to begin with a high percentage of filling your tag possible. Get some of the Eastman books/videos.

Keep us informed on your progress and ask away.............
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 79 Times in 9 Posts
    Welcome to the forum.

I've hunted Idaho a lot in the passed. There always seems to be lots of tags available OTC and a lot of hunters out in the field too. For me it seemed every year there where less animals to hunt and more hunters to watch. Idaho has some beautiful country and if you can find a good area to hunt with a good number of animals to hunt you would be in for a fun hunt. I hunted the SE part of ID. If you choose to hunt there PM me and I can give you plenty of info.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    If you choose to hunt Colorado you'll have to enter the draw for the mule deer. There is no OTC here for deer. So, research what unit you want to hunt for deer and elk, and make sure it's an OTC unit. That's about 2/3 of the units here. You can buy the OTC elk tag all the way up to the hunt, so don't get it right away. See if you get the deer tag in the draw first, and then you can add the OTC elk tag.

That's if you're set on hunting deer and elk together. You can always get the OTC elk tag by itself, and just hunt for elk. I actually suggest that. Elk and muley's aren't hunted with the same methods. So, you you'll be struggling to hunt them together. You could get lucky, and run into both of them on the same hunt, but you don't want to depend on luck.

Personally, I don't recommend OTC hunts. They're way too crowded for me. Save some points, and get a 1st rifle tag. You can still catch the end of the rut that way. I scouted yesterday, and the bulls were bugling like crazy. 1st rifle season starts tomorrow. You might also consider muzzleloader season. It's the least crowded, and right in the rut. The rut is important for you as a new elk hunte, because you can call the bulls in during the rut.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hello and welcome. It's never to early to start researching. If I'm hunting elk I stick to elk. I don't want to lose a day packing out a deer when I'm so far from home and limited on days to hunt. If I combo it will be deer & antelope. I guess cause it's all a draw, the areas I've been hunting in Wy haven't had the pressure like Colorado. Go buy a cow tag and learn an area if it's going to take points to draw a bull tag

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    Idaho has lots of what have become OTC tags in the last few years. game has also been hit hard by predators (mostly wolves) in alot of areas, especially in the mountains. It can still be good but its not what it once was. I would not recommend both deer and elk together especially for your first hunt unless you end up hunting an area where both are otc and you just want both tags in your pocket. If you want to hunt next year I would recommend otc elk in CO or a deer or antelope tag in WY you can draw with no points or 2nd choice and start building points. Just be aware lots of areas that are easy to draw on WY have poor access so do your research before you apply. Good luck!