Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanks for the story, I really enjoyed reading it. Cool hunt.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to humbletaxi For This Useful Post:

Musket Man (10-12-2013)

Thanks
    musket man, what you wanna sell that gun to me for???? pm me

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ivorytip For This Useful Post:

Musket Man (10-12-2013)

Thanks
    Thanks everyone I gotta say I have never had a hunt come together so perfectly before. The place he was in, cover to it, wind, everything it could not have been any better, he even stood up at exactly the right time!
    I do have 1 thing Im trying to figure out that I never seen before and makes no sense to me, not that it matters Im just curious if anyone has seen this before. The bullet hit a few inches behind his shoulder, he was quartering toward me slightly and it passed clear through and exited in his ribs about 4-6 inches farther back then it entered. Where it went in it cut about a 4'' x 1'' slot in his hide. I cant figure out why it made the slot. The hole entering his ribs was normal size. You can see it in pic 3.

CC I will be looking forward to hearing about your hunt with the 1873! One of these days I want to get a replica of an 1873 and 1860 Henry!

Ivory I wish you luck on that one! I have seen lots of old Winchesters I wanted to buy but I have never seen one I wanted to sell
    Last edited by Musket Man; 10-12-2013 at 12:19 PM.

Thanks
    those remington core lockts are amazing bullets, very very very underrated. ive tried the rest but keep going back to those core lockts. best part about it is they are the cheapest ones out there!!! ive never had animals drop so hard and so fast as they do with those puppies loaded up, they just shoot better.... out of an old winchester ofcourse onlything i can think of why it made that big cut/slit is those speed goats have pretty tight skin as it is and when the bullet made contact maybe ur antelope was strectching or flexing or something to cause it to be extra tight?????? idk, ive never seen that either. exit wound on the other hand is allways fun.

Thanks
    I thought it could be something to do with the 30-30 being much slower then say a .270 but that dont make much sense either. Core-lokt surely is a great bullet that is very under rated these days. I havent used anything else in years other then I use Hornady v-max on yotes in my 22-250. They have always got the job done for me so why change. Not like I could of tried something else if I wanted to since cant seem to find a 30-30 around here these days to save your life. Was a good thing I had some on hand! The Hornady Leverevolutions crossed my mind but I wanted to do this hunt old school and the core-lokts were perfect!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post

CC I will be looking forward to hearing about your hunt with the 1873! One of these days I want to get a replica of an 1873 and 1860 Henry!

MM,

I you ever are interested in buying one of the 73's or 66's let me know. I shoot with a lot of cowboy shooters every month and every once in awhile one of them sells a gun or 2. A friend of mine sold a really nice Uberti (Italian clone) 73 with a 24" barrel in .45 Colt for $750.00. Unfortunately they only make them in pistol calibers. I have 2 , my main match gun and a backup. Both are really accurate and shoot really good out to 2oo yds with lead bullets. Probably would do better with jacketed bullets. I am sure i could kill a deer or antelope, no problem.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    MM,

I you ever are interested in buying one of the 73's or 66's let me know. I shoot with a lot of cowboy shooters every month and every once in awhile one of them sells a gun or 2. A friend of mine sold a really nice Uberti (Italian clone) 73 with a 24" barrel in .45 Colt for $750.00. Unfortunately they only make them in pistol calibers. I have 2 , my main match gun and a backup. Both are really accurate and shoot really good out to 2oo yds with lead bullets. Probably would do better with jacketed bullets. I am sure i could kill a deer or antelope, no problem.
    Im always interested. It would mostly depend on the price and if I had the money to spare at the time. they come in .45 colt and 44-40 dont they? Im not sure what the originals were but I think alot were 44-40? Im sure they would kill a deer, antelope or even an elk easily and Im sure alot of all 3 and buffalo too were killed with them back in their day!

Thanks
    sweet! Love the iron sights on that lever action!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dhershberger For This Useful Post:

Musket Man (10-13-2013)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    Im always interested. It would mostly depend on the price and if I had the money to spare at the time. they come in .45 colt and 44-40 dont they? Im not sure what the originals were but I think alot were 44-40? Im sure they would kill a deer, antelope or even an elk easily and Im sure alot of all 3 and buffalo too were killed with them back in their day!
    Yes they do come in 44-40 which is very good with black powder. Of course that what it was designed for. I would be using this caliber except that when I started shooting cowboy action, I bought a couple of used Ruger Vaqueros (old model) in .45 Colt. Still use that caliber.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    Yes they do come in 44-40 which is very good with black powder. Of course that what it was designed for. I would be using this caliber except that when I started shooting cowboy action, I bought a couple of used Ruger Vaqueros (old model) in .45 Colt. Still use that caliber.
    The replicas are made to shoot smokeless powder too arent they?