Thread: Pants

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 3 Posts

Pants

What pants does everyone hunt with when it is supposed to be 40 or below for a high with snow in the forecast. Lows are in the teens. I do a lot of spot and stalk in central South Dakota and this year looks like it might get pretty nasty. We hike a TON due to the terrain. I would say on average we are putting on 10 miles or more a day. I need something that is not going to get me soaked through when walking through snow or when I stop to glass, but that it has to be light enough to hike in all day and not bulky. I have always used cotton six pocket pants in the past with gaiters if there is some snow, but this year I think I may try something different. I can't really justify the cost of the high end pants (sitka, kryptek, etc.) but I think I may want to try some out this year if I can afford it.
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 15 Times in 3 Posts
    I bought a pair of the Russel Outdoors APX Zephyr 3 from Sportsmens. I know Russel outdoors is out of business now but the pants are awesome. I wore them in 20 degree temps,used gaiters for the snow. They are right around $100

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ssliger View Post
    I bought a pair of the Russel Outdoors APX Zephyr 3 from Sportsmens. I know Russel outdoors is out of business now but the pants are awesome. I wore them in 20 degree temps,used gaiters for the snow. They are right around $100
    I have the Russel APX Gale vest and jacket and I love them. Bought them when they went on sale trying to get rid of everything. I wish I could have found some similar pants. They would have been great. $100 sounds ok to me, I can't see myself spending 200+ on pants though. That's tough for me to swallow.
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 15 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tdcour View Post
    I have the Russel APX Gale vest and jacket and I love them. Bought them when they went on sale trying to get rid of everything. I wish I could have found some similar pants. They would have been great. $100 sounds ok to me, I can't see myself spending 200+ on pants though. That's tough for me to swallow.
    They still have the pants at Sportsmans right now.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Look into some mountain climbing gear.. patagonia, marmot, even eddie bauer has some good pants. I have their guide pant. Dont be afraid of the teens. Not that bad especially if you're moving that much. That is a common scenario in mt. I wear medium weight base layer, eddie bauer guide pants and pack puff pants by mountain hardware in my bag, when things slow down a little.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 1 Post
    I love the Russel upper body stuff, have the Gale jacket in black for work and mossy oak brush for hunting, gale vest, whiteout parka and pants, lots of their stuff. I never found a pair of their lighter weight pants that fit right. I have a pair of Sitka Ascent pants I like but my favorites are the Core 4 Element light weight ones. They fit and wear great, good for most any temp with the right base layer or combo of base layers when I'm walking and active like that. I picked all my stuff up way below retail at Camofire or Ebay. Probably have 1/3 of retail in my whole layering system by being patient and checking their sites.

When I stop walking for a while I have a Hill Country Gear Mountain Serape that is great to wrap up in for extra warmth. When used as a poncho it also breaks up the human outline a little. Often though I pack it and the down jacket so I can use the jacket for my upper body and the HCG as a blanket for my lower body. I can sit still and comfortable for a long time that way.