Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wyoming Mosse in Area 1,38,42 and 34

Hello:

New to this Forum. Wasn't aware Eastman's had one here after reading their magazines for many years.

I am looking to put together a Bull Moose hunt in either area 1,38,42 or 34. I have looked over a lot of information and have applied for Preference points for years now. Fortunately I got several of them when they were only $7.00.

I have hunted the Eastern side of the Big Horns by Sheridan for Mule deer quite a few times and know a little about the area. I know it is difficult to draw in these particular areas and have been told it is a very good, but want to hear from anyone that has some input, and any information would be a great help.

Have the Wolves become an issue? Are there any areas that are just as good or better? Any information would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

John
    Last edited by DH56; 02-03-2014 at 05:23 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    Wolves shouldn't be a problem, its outside the trophy zone so it's shoot on sight. I don't know about quality though. How many points do you have?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have accumulated 11 so far.
    Last edited by DH56; 01-20-2014 at 07:42 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Wolves won't be an issue in the four areas you list... But at 11 points you're many years away from drawing. If you're open to other areas then you're on the cusp (2-3 years out) from drawing.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by DH56 View Post
    Hello:

New to this Forum. Wasn't aware Eastman's had one here after reading their magazines for many years.

I am looking to put together a Bull Moose hunt in either area 1 or 34. I have looked over a lot of information and have applied for Preference points for years now. Fortunately I got several of them when they were only $7.00.

I have hunted the Eastern side of the Big Horns by Sheridan for Mule deer quite a few times and know a little about the area. I know it is difficult to draw in these two particular areas and have been told it is a very good, but want to hear from anyone that has some input, and any information would be a great help.

Have the Wolves become an issue? Are there any areas that are just as good or better? Any information would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

John
    From what I see on the G&F website drawing odds, you'll need at least 15 points to draw.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    It looks like you could draw 22. Maybe 6 or 35 if you're lucky. Units 1, 34, 38, and 42 no chance unless in the random draws.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The four I mentioned, I know I'll need at least 15 and most likely 16 to even have a chance. The draw stats indicate that. The issue is that I am getting older and it will become harder several years down the line, so looking at other options is being be considered. I want my best option with this once in a lifetime opportunity. If I was younger and in my 30's or 40's I would wait it out, but time is against me in a way.

6 and 35 are in the Pinedale and Lander Region, and my only concern is the wolf impact on the moose population. Based on what I am hearing here and from a friend of mine on the Sheridan area, the Big Horns really haven't been impacted at this point so the population is relatively stable.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You could get lucky maybe next year with with an area 27 tag...just hunt the first two weeks of November on the border of Utah on the NF and you should have a good hunt.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 30Hart For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 18 Times in 2 Posts
    Big Horns and the snowy are by far the best areas in the state for trophy quality. If you have questions about the Sheridan area or cody area let me know in a pm, I grew up in Sheridan and still hunt the big horns and cody area for elk... I personally apply for area 1 even though itll be 10 years before I draw since I have 15 points as a resident.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to kiddwinner For This Useful Post:

Eastmans' Staff
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hello John,

I think area 1 is the best moose area in the state. Area 34 is also very good, but a bit tougher of a hunt, but has the potential also for a record book bull. I have personally seen groups of bulls between 12 and 20 strong in the summer in area 1. The only other areas I would look into would be the areas down in the Snowy Range near Colorado which would be areas 38 and 41. The Game and Fish honestly believes that the biggest moose in the state are down in those units. Those moose where transplanted from the Moosehead Ranch north of Jackson in Colorado back in the late seventies and have moved back north into Wyoming. Those genetics are the genes that have rewritten the record's book for Shiras moose back in the day, pre wolves. Either way, you will need 15 or 16 points for any of these tags, but all of the above are very, very good hunts. Area 1 is the easiest hunt for big bulls and the best bowhunt. I would say areas 38/41 has the best potential for a true giant. My two cents. Either way, good luck on the hunt. -G
    N. Guy Eastman
    Publisher
    Eastmans' Hunting Journals

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Guy For This Useful Post: