Thread: WY Hunt

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

WY Hunt

My brother and I are exploring the idea of doing a mule deer or elk hunt in WY or MT. I just got a subscription to EHJ to help out. Does anyone have any advice on how to start planning for a DIY hunt: applying, sections, etc.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    First things first...check their websites and start to buy some pref pts. Too late this year.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    I was in your position about 4 years ago. I have 4 deer points and 2elk points and still haven't been out deer hunting. Went out antelope hunting last year but anyway depending on how long you want to wait or if you want to go every year. I can't decide what I want to do think I'm just going togo for region g next year. Eastman's journal is probably the best way to get started you can get a ton of info out of that magazine your on the right track like cc said start buying points next year. And do a ton of research. I've been researching for 4 years and it seems I learn something new every time I look at a map or magazine it's crazy. Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Oh and I forgot to add this is a great site to learn alot just look around and enjoy!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm in same shoes as you but I was able to buy my 1st point in WY this year.. Hunting out west is much harder much more info to learn but it looks that much more satisfying. Just what I need another addiction in outdoors. Good luck

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    The MRS is a great place to start your research. As CC said start getting points. You can get a tag in MT without any points but IMO its to much money these days. Too much for me anyways. There are some areas in WY you can draw with no points or 2nd choice and still get a point if you do your research. It all depends on your expectations for your hunt and how soon you want to hunt. You may also want to consider an antelope hunt in WY. Good luck!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    We did an antelope hunt in Wyomin this year to get our feet wet. I would recommend doing this or a cow elk hunt where you later plan on hunting a bull elk. This way you are hunting, scouting, and building preference points. Wyoming also has the special license that is basically the same as having a preference point.

We hunted between Medicine Bow nad Laramie and created a lifetime of memories.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Pick an area and go. Just get started. No sense in sitting home waiting. I agree with get a cow tag first. I wish I'd done that for my BlackHills deal this year. But that said, just get going.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Agreed, you can do an awful lot of research, but nothing beats seeing the country first hand. My son and I did that this year, went in pretty much blind but both tagged out (antelope and mulie bucks). The fish and wildlife regional offices in Cheyenne and Casper were very helpful with maps, permission slips ect... Planning next years hunts now.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    It's hard to get into those pemo areas in Wyoming or Montana, there are a lot of BIG deer there. But you gotta spend some time and money on scouting trips. Most guys scout the internet and try to find good areas on google earth. Get familiar with the area you eventually want to hunt by taking a summer vacation in the high country and get to know the animal you're hunting. Then buy the points and hunt Idaho with an over the counter tag until you draw on a trophy area..... You might find that trophy in Idaho.
    See ya on the ridge top!...... By.