Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unit 48 cow elk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Unit 48 cow elk

Just wondering if anybody can give me some information on this area? I moved to riverton 5 years ago and am hunting elk for the first time. I have been hunting the lower part of the unit with no luck at all. thanks for all the help

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I hunted 48 in the past and seems like most of the elk were on private property and tough to get permission.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 39 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    I hunted 48 in the past and seems like most of the elk were on private property and tough to get permission.
    Yep, the Orchard Ranch covers a big part of 48 (100,000 acres) where a lot of the elk stay and it's leased out to SnS Outfitters in Casper. Most of the accessible BLM land on the ranch doesn't hold elk, as they are up in the higher country to the south and southeast part of the ranch where the BLM isn't accessible. The Lewtons own most of the rest of the best elk country in the area to the north of there and you'll pay dearly to get access to any of that property.
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 12-03-2013 at 09:25 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I quit hunting 48 years ago, after S&S outfitters took over the Orchard Ranch. Used to be that a guy could get permission to hunt from area ranchers, not for a long while now. Last I heard the average trespass fee was around $250.00 for cows, maybe I'm wrong on that though. A trespass fee for bulls is higher...not sure how ranchers/outfitters can get away with charging more for antlers and still call it a trespass fee....but they do it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 3 Posts
    Same thing happened to me in Area 49. The going price was $250 to hunt cows. I did find a few people that let me hunt for free but no elk on their land when I hunted it and the blm land I pounded didn't hold any either. I had hunted that area 4 years before that and a rancher let me on for $150, he originaly wanted $300. I won't hunt there again. I think the Lewton's wanted $500 but that was 5 years ago.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 19 Times in 3 Posts
    I'd try and get a hold of the Game Warden working that area, or stop and talk to them while your up there, if you see them. They usually have the inside info on where the herds are holed up and are willing to share that with you if you ask since they're not all that fond of the private rancher's / outfitters controlling the herds. All of the landowners in that area have become quite greedy of late and are more than willing to charge $300-$500 for trespass fees on antlerless elk, but people must be paying it which I find absurd.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have relatives in WY that hunt 48. I gave up on it before the app went in, no place to really hunt.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by libidilatimmy View Post
    I'd try and get a hold of the Game Warden working that area, or stop and talk to them while your up there, if you see them. They usually have the inside info on where the herds are holed up and are willing to share that with you if you ask since they're not all that fond of the private rancher's / outfitters controlling the herds. All of the landowners in that area have become quite greedy of late and are more than willing to charge $300-$500 for trespass fees on antlerless elk, but people must be paying it which I find absurd.

***Don't kid yourself on your warden statement. Tom (DeSomber) is a good guy and I talk to him quite often when I'm out there (was there the whole month of October this year), but he's just like the other Wardens and Biologists that have to maintain a good relationship with the ranchers in their area because most of their biologist work is on private lands where the majority of the game lives. Most of the game in that part of the state, like many other areas, is on private land. It's the people that are paying the goofy prices that these ranchers and outfitters are asking that are to blame! If people would realize that and basically boycott those prices they would quickly come down to a reasonable level. To pay over $300 for a cow elk tag that is the going rate right now for a NR and then a lot more than that for a trespass fee that doesn't even assure that you'll see an animal is crazy IMHO! SNS is charging over $6K now for a five day bull elk hunt and we are killing them for just the price of the tag on public land that is legally accessible. SNS doesn't like it, but they can't do a thing about it. One time years ago one of their staff tried to harass us and keep us from hunting and he did the same thing to another group from Wisconsin. I contacted Tom, wrote up a complaint against SNS, and he went and warned Sy at their Trout Creek camp that any other complaints of that nature against the company would lead to possible revocation of their license. I've had no problem with them since then and there are now a lot more people hunting the area after that happened. We go so far back in that the latter hasn't bothered us since most people don't want to go more than a mile, if that, from their vehicle. We don't even start doing any serious hunting until about 2 miles from the nearest road. The problem with hunting 48 or 49 is that you need to have hunted the area a long time to know the game movements and be retired or have a lot of vacation time so you can hunt the whole season when sooner or later you can take an animal if you stay at it. We took a 5x5 and a nontypical 6x7 along with two cows during the two week season down there this year by hunting every day and knowing the area like the back of our hand.
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 12-05-2013 at 06:55 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 19 Times in 3 Posts
    Guess I struck a nerve somehow.....I was simply suggesting he stop and talk to one of the state guys for information. The person who asked the original question is new to elk hunting and new to this particular area (which happens to be where I grew up). Just trying to help this individual, not discourage them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by libidilatimmy View Post
    Guess I struck a nerve somehow.....I was simply suggesting he stop and talk to one of the state guys for information. The person who asked the original question is new to elk hunting and new to this particular area (which happens to be where I grew up). Just trying to help this individual, not discourage them.
    ***Sorry, as that isn't the case at all. I'm just saying that it's doubtful he'll get any useful information from Tom, as I've known him ever since he started working this area and, although he's a nice guy, has never given me any useful information as far as hunting the unit. In one conversation I had with him a couple years ago about some of the stuff we're discussing on this thread he outright told me that he had to get along with all the ranchers because he needs to get on their ranches to do the game biology part of his job, which he spends a lot more time on than he does on the LE part of his job during the year. I'm not trying to discourage the OP and since I know Tom pretty well I don't think what I mentioned was doing that. Send me a PM with your name and I might even know some of your relatives if there are any still in the area, as I've hunted out there most every year since 1994 and know quite a few of the locals.