Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unit 48 cow elk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Unit 48 cow elk

I ran into Tom while deer hunting this year. I asked him about elk since I had a 49 cow tag. He told me were some usually are if they haven't been pressured too hard. I hiked into that area the next evening and seen about 70. Never got a shot since the first herd was about 150 yds onto private property and I got messed up on the next herd. He still put me on them.
    Last edited by JEandAsGuide; 12-06-2013 at 02:31 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JEandAsGuide For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JEandAsGuide View Post
    I ran into Tom while deer hunting this year. I asked him about elk since I had a 49 cow tag. He told me were some usually are if they haven't been pressured too hard. I hiked into that area the next evening and seen about 70. Never got a shot since the first herd was about 150 yds onto private property and I got messed up on the next herd. He still put me on them.
    ***That's great---maybe ole Tom is starting to loosen up a little bit!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Topgun 30-06 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Interesting posts guys. I know the area well as I started hunting there in the the early 80's on Clear Creek Ranch. It was pretty easy to get tags then and the Hendrys didn't charge much for trespass fees.Things really started getting out of hand in the late 90's when Rob & Leslie took over. They leased out hunting to an outfitter for a while and the trespass fees went outa sight. I havn't hunted it for 10 or 12 years.

I used to hunt the northern part of Clear Creek ocassionaly that bordered Orchard. There was a school section that was totally surrounded by the 2 ranches that I hunted. Orchard had it fenced and posted and I used to climb over the fence and hunt it. Had there security guy and outfitter stop me and tell me I was trespassing. They changed their tune when I showed them my tags signed by Hendry.

The last years I hunted there the deer herd had really taken a hit and the numbers were really down. I do keep in touch as a good friend of mine is in charge of security there during the hunting seasons. He keeps telling me I need to come back and hunt. Maybe one day.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
    ***Sorry, as that isn't the case at all. I'm just saying that it's doubtful he'll get any useful information from Tom, as I've known him ever since he started working this area and, although he's a nice guy, has never given me any useful information as far as hunting the unit. In one conversation I had with him a couple years ago about some of the stuff we're discussing on this thread he outright told me that he had to get along with all the ranchers because he needs to get on their ranches to do the game biology part of his job, which he spends a lot more time on than he does on the LE part of his job during the year. I'm not trying to discourage the OP and since I know Tom pretty well I don't think what I mentioned was doing that. Send me a PM with your name and I might even know some of your relatives if there are any still in the area, as I've hunted out there most every year since 1994 and know quite a few of the locals.
    Topgun, Tom also neglected to tell you that an area rancher flies his aircraft for G&F. And when he radios his outfitter as to where the elk are, they look the other way. To say he has to get along with area ranchers is putting it mildly. The outfitters/ranchers also allow G&F employees to hunt for free. Trying to get information from a G&F warden is like pulling teeth. From what I hear from folks that still hunt there is that you had better have a good GPS and a land status chip. The wardens also patrol for the outfitters, looking for trespassers.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    Interesting posts guys. I know the area well as I started hunting there in the the early 80's on Clear Creek Ranch. It was pretty easy to get tags then and the Hendrys didn't charge much for trespass fees.Things really started getting out of hand in the late 90's when Rob & Leslie took over. They leased out hunting to an outfitter for a while and the trespass fees went outa sight. I havn't hunted it for 10 or 12 years.

I used to hunt the northern part of Clear Creek ocassionaly that bordered Orchard. There was a school section that was totally surrounded by the 2 ranches that I hunted. Orchard had it fenced and posted and I used to climb over the fence and hunt it. Had there security guy and outfitter stop me and tell me I was trespassing. They changed their tune when I showed them my tags signed by Hendry.

The last years I hunted there the deer herd had really taken a hit and the numbers were really down. I do keep in touch as a good friend of mine is in charge of security there during the hunting seasons. He keeps telling me I need to come back and hunt. Maybe one day.
    Cowboy....Rob is the pilot I was talking about.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I knew he had a plane and flew around a lot during hunting seasons, but so do several other ranches in the area. It's all about the money today! I think Spratt was one of the first to have a plane and do that kind of foolishness.
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 12-06-2013 at 10:40 AM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've seen Rob up in his plane doing his thing! A couple years ago when I had a buck antelope tag and was up on top in the BLM to the north of the big pond along the main road he flew down at almost ground level and scared every goat in the area that I was watching onto deeded land. That year I was just unhooking my trailer the day before the season opened to camp near the pond on the legal BLM ground near there when an old man (no idea who he was) stopped and asked me what in the He** I thought I was doing. I told him I knew right where I was and was going to shoot a goat on a tag I drew and so were a couple friends that were coming in with me. He started in hollering negatives about NRs and how residents were paying taxes only to be bothered by us NRs and to get out or he'd come down and kick my azz! I just hollered back that I was there for the kicking and he better have good boots, LOL! He took off throwing gravel and I never saw him again. I ended up taking an 80" goat the 4th morning and the other two guys took nice ones the first 3 days. Last year my buddy from Sheridan drew a goat tag and we ended up taking one that may go over 80" after the 60 day drying period and it was right in the small section of State land that touches the road near the north end of the Orchard International Airport (LOL at that one) landing strip below Mahogany Butte. We do have Garmin GPS equipment with a chip and they are the best thing ever to stop arguments when ranchers stop to try and run you off legal public land, which they try to do all the time in some areas. Chuck Lewton was always good at that when he was still living out there full time, but he's now living in Spearfish and we don't see much of his sorry azz any more! His boy Kent and younger boy Lonnie now pretty well do everything out on their properties and are pretty easy to get along with, but to hunt any of their land you pay dearly! I just ran into Lonnie a year ago when I was starting to backpack a mulie out near the end of the October season and he drove his quad over to see who I was and I figured he was going to hassle me and say I was on his property when I was on a piece of legally accessible state land. We had a nice little chat and he actually took me on his quad a good 1 1/2 miles to my truck and saved me that walk with the meat. When I thanked him I made a little comment about his Dad that he could tell wasn't very complimentary and he smiled as he left and said: "We aren't all bad!" I had a good laugh at that as he drove off!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    How'd you know it was Rob? Ace has a plane and they share the same hanger and runway. I've flown out there a number of times in my brothers plane just to look for elk. Wonder how many folks thought we were a local rancher...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple BB View Post
    How'd you know it was Rob? Ace has a plane and they share the same hanger and runway. I've flown out there a number of times in my brothers plane just to look for elk. Wonder how many folks thought we were a local rancher...
    ***Because he buzzed me so low I thought I was going to have to go prone to keep from getting hit, LOL! I know the color of his plane and I also went by the landing strip and saw his truck parked there after it happened! I'd like to know how you can say he shares that hanger when that one little T-shaped building is designed and only big enough to back one small plane into!!!
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 12-06-2013 at 07:20 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple BB View Post
    By the color. I have good binos...but as low as Rob flies, I really don't need them. You're right TopGun, they spook a lot of game, harassing wildlife perhaps? But don't expect G&F to do anything, Rob is a county commissioner.