Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unit 48 cow elk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shootbrownelk View Post
    By the color. I have good binos...but as low as Rob flies, I really don't need them. You're right TopGun, they spook a lot of game, harassing wildlife perhaps? But don't expect G&F to do anything, Rob is a county commissioner.

I didn't know Rob was a CC now! I went before the Commission at a meeting a number of years ago when a friend from Worland and I were contesting a land swap that Lewton was making with the BLM. The BLM paperwork said the CC was in favor of it and when we went before the Commission about it we found out they didn't even know what was going on and they ended up writing a letter to the BLM telling them to take that statement from the BLM paperwork because it was false. We ended up appealing that swap all the way to Washington, DC and won the case before the Judge it was assigned to. While it was being heard the rotten SOBs down in Cheyenne went ahead and illegally swapped it and we found out that everything had been signed off on the deeds at the Courthouse in Worland. The Judge wrote the BLM head guy in Cheyenne by the name of Bennett a letter really chastizing him for doing that in violation of Federal regulations, but in a letter he wrote to us he apologized for the swap and said he didn't have the authority to reverse what had been done and we'd have to take legal steps through the Federal courts to try and reverse it. There was no way we were going to spend a fortune doing that, so Lewton got more great land over by the French V and gave the public some shit land over by the Powder River campground the BLM maintains on Hazelton Road. That was back when John Dent, who has acerage down by Orchards, was a Commissioner and I found him to be a very nice guy and one of many who didn't care for Chuck Lewton at all. He dropped off the CC some time ago, but was still in very good health for his age when I ran into him out there this season.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Topgun 30-06 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 2 Posts
    After reading this thread all I can say is WOW!!!!!!! I thought I was loosing my mind from my experiences but now I know Im not the only one.

This past fall I got ran off a piece of state land 2 days prior to season, the local rancher told me I was trespassing. After I explained that those state signs were in fact WY state signs he then proceeded to tell me no hunting allowed, I then reminded him I was not hunting that I was in fact looking at a potential access point. I offered to call the sheriff for him if he felt inclined, but he got mad and stomped off. I never accessed through that section because I was afraid he might vandalize my truck, so in a sense he won. I personally think someone doing that should face hunter harrasment charges or something.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    FUBAR
    The kings men you know.......
    Do as we say.

Money is the root of all evil and I think the start is to outlaw guided hunts.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Wow I've been collecting points in Wyoming for antelope and now I'm wondering if I get drawn am I gona wind up in a fist fight over hunting access!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by humbletaxi View Post
    Wow I've been collecting points in Wyoming for antelope and now I'm wondering if I get drawn am I gona wind up in a fist fight over hunting access!
    Guess that depends on where you try to Hunt!!!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by humbletaxi View Post
    Most areas that take points to draw have better access and fewer problems like that. Get a good gps with a huntinggps chip so you know the land ownership and you will be fine. Landowners in areas with poor access to public land have alot of problems with people trespassing so they are kinda touchy about it. There are alot of hunters that dont respect private land like they should and it causes problems for those of us that do.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by AT Hiker View Post
    After reading this thread all I can say is WOW!!!!!!! I thought I was loosing my mind from my experiences but now I know Im not the only one.

This past fall I got ran off a piece of state land 2 days prior to season, the local rancher told me I was trespassing. After I explained that those state signs were in fact WY state signs he then proceeded to tell me no hunting allowed, I then reminded him I was not hunting that I was in fact looking at a potential access point. I offered to call the sheriff for him if he felt inclined, but he got mad and stomped off. I never accessed through that section because I was afraid he might vandalize my truck, so in a sense he won. I personally think someone doing that should face hunter harrasment charges or something.
    I agree with you AT, but good luck getting a Wy. G&F warden to do anything about it. Did you video or record the confrontation?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shootbrownelk View Post
    I agree with you AT, but good luck getting a Wy. G&F warden to do anything about it. Did you video or record the confrontation?
    No I did not record it, honestly it was the last thing I could ever imagine to happen. I did tell a warden about it, but it was out of his district. He pretty much told me that not a lot he could do except that I was right and the rancher was wrong. Evidently the sheriffs handle the tresspassing issues, but when someone claims state and federal land as their own it is out of everyone's hands.

Im a non-resident hunter to WY, with hopes of moving out there one day, and I can understand the whole migration of out of staters to the beautiful state, but I also understand how important nonresidents (hunters, hikers, vacationers, etc) are to a state like WY. People doing these types of things only make the problem worse, to me not much difference than a tress passer (both are wrong and are cheating, ignorance aside).

Oh well, I will continue to professionally voice my concerns, obey the laws, and spend thousands of $$ every year in WY hunting, hiking, and eating!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AT Hiker View Post
    No I did not record it, honestly it was the last thing I could ever imagine to happen. I did tell a warden about it, but it was out of his district. He pretty much told me that not a lot he could do except that I was right and the rancher was wrong. Evidently the sheriffs handle the tresspassing issues, but when someone claims state and federal land as their own it is out of everyone's hands.

Im a non-resident hunter to WY, with hopes of moving out there one day, and I can understand the whole migration of out of staters to the beautiful state, but I also understand how important nonresidents (hunters, hikers, vacationers, etc) are to a state like WY. People doing these types of things only make the problem worse, to me not much difference than a tress passer (both are wrong and are cheating, ignorance aside).

Oh well, I will continue to professionally voice my concerns, obey the laws, and spend thousands of $$ every year in WY hunting, hiking, and eating!
    ***That's not quite accurate, as the G&F staff also write plenty of trespassing tickets and I believe the going rate is at least $200 for a citation. Also, GWs can cite the guy for hunter harrassment if you can document that the guy was hassling you and telling you to stay off legally accessible land. I had a guy that worked for the biggest outfitter in Wyoming try to keep us off BLM land and I found out he also tried to do the same thing with another group from Wisconsin. I contacted the local GW, who I knew quite well, filled out a written complaint, and he went and talked to the head honcho and told them they were risking their outfitters license if he got any more complaints like that. That was a number of years ago and I hunt out there every year and have had no further problems. If you know you're correct and are legal, you need to stand up for your rights or some of those ranchers out there will walk all over you if you don't.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
    ***That's not quite accurate, as the G&F staff also write plenty of trespassing tickets and I believe the going rate is at least $200 for a citation. Also, GWs can cite the guy for hunter harrassment if you can document that the guy was hassling you and telling you to stay off legally accessible land. I had a guy that worked for the biggest outfitter in Wyoming try to keep us off BLM land and I found out he also tried to do the same thing with another group from Wisconsin. I contacted the local GW, who I knew quite well, filled out a written complaint, and he went and talked to the head honcho and told them they were risking their outfitters license if he got any more complaints like that. That was a number of years ago and I hunt out there every year and have had no further problems. If you know you're correct and are legal, you need to stand up for your rights or some of those ranchers out there will walk all over you if you don't.
    I agree 100%. Don't let ranchers or their hands BS you, if you know exactly where you are. However, I seriously doubt that any rancher/outfitter would ever get a citation for falsely claiming BLM/State land as private. G&F & Ranchers are just too cozy. IMO.