Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: wyoming a crock

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TeddyBear View Post
    I meant more specifically, what do mule deer eat.
    It varies, but here is some good info from Utah:

http://wildlife.utah.gov/learn-about-deer-habitat.html

This is the kind of stuff you should be looking for.

I think this is the biggest misunderstanding about researching your hunt. The biologist isn't in the business of pointing hunters towards trophies, but they are in the business of studying the lives and habits of game. The questions you should be asking the biologist are:

"What do the deer in this area EAT?"
    "Does this preference change during the year?"

Biologists will likely give specific and accurate information about these questions, and you can then apply the answers to your area. Continue with this kind of research from varied sources.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    I really recommend Mike Eastman's recently released book on mule deer. I've hunted them for almost 60 years and shot somewhere around 60 or 70 of them. I learned a lot that I just took for granted that I knew. Well worth the $$$.
    +1 on the book. A lot of great info and great read as well.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    I really recommend Mike Eastman's recently released book on mule deer. I've hunted them for almost 60 years and shot somewhere around 60 or 70 of them. I learned a lot that I just took for granted that I knew. Well worth the $$$.
    Colorado Cowboy, great advice, I bought this book for my son. I peeked through it while at his house. I noticed he had blown through a highlighter proving its value. Sounds like I need to borrow it or get one of my own. I respect your advice do to the fact that you have put in your time and admit that after all these years you are still willing to learn. With all those trigger pulls under your belt, what do think of my choice of 300 win mag 165 gr. Too much, not enough? Thanks

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Bitterroot Bulls, thanks for the site, you make a great point about Biologists. Now were getting somewhere! Thanks for your patience with this rookie from Michigan! Hope to hunt Utah someday. One state at a time. Still have to conquer Wyoming

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 6 Posts
    I mostly shoot a Ruger M77 (old model w/tang safety) in 25-06 for deer and antelope. I also sometimes shoot a sporterized 03 in 30-06. I use 150 gr Sierra Gameking BT bullets in it. In the .25-06 I also use Sierra gameking BT 117 6rainers. I do have a .300 Wby that is a custom commercial Mauser action that i use for Elk and larger. I like 180 gr Nosler partitions. It ain't necessarily the gun/caliber, it's bullet placement and confidence in the gun and it accuracy IMHO.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 30 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TeddyBear View Post
    I try to hunt mulies like they are whitetails.
    It's not a bad plan. MD and WT have similar browsing habits and tend to concentrate around moisture rich browse. Pre-rut, they're still trying to store fat, during rut they're looking for carbs for quick energy, post rut they're looking for whatever they can find. The colder it is, the more calories they have to take in. Old bucks of both species like the same things, beds that are difficult to get to without alerting them, can bed and feed in the same general area to not expose themselves and a habit of going stupid when they have women on their mind. You will find that some people can hunt the same units year after year and churn out respectable bucks in the same spots; there's something there that makes those spots appealing to the animals for one to always hole up there.

If you can pattern big mature WTs in thick cover, MD in open country becomes more a thing of what you can put your body through and still find enjoyment in it.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by packmule View Post
    It's not a bad plan. MD and WT have similar browsing habits and tend to concentrate around moisture rich browse. Pre-rut, they're still trying to store fat, during rut they're looking for carbs for quick energy, post rut they're looking for whatever they can find. The colder it is, the more calories they have to take in. Old bucks of both species like the same things, beds that are difficult to get to without alerting them, can bed and feed in the same general area to not expose themselves and a habit of going stupid when they have women on their mind. You will find that some people can hunt the same units year after year and churn out respectable bucks in the same spots; there's something there that makes those spots appealing to the animals for one to always hole up there.

If you can pattern big mature WTs in thick cover, MD in open country becomes more a thing of what you can put your body through and still find enjoyment in it.
    Packmule, you rock! thanks for the info. I am a whitetail hunter at heart. I'm sure down in the great state of Texas you have had your share of hunting them also. I talked to a hunter in Montana last year that told me he quit hunting mulies because they are so stupid and easy to hunt, he only hunts whitetails now. Have to disagree with him on that one. We have had some mulies give us the slip, and the Lord only knows how many snookered us that we didn't know about. These Michigan Whitetails are super intelligent, but we wait for the moment they make that one mistake, and your right, there is usually a sweet doe in their crosshairs. Those females have caused the fall of some great men over the centuries. Thanks for great info buddy! Ill admit, I did vote for both Bushes.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Cowboy, Thanks, used a Ruger 77 this year myself. Tried to buy a kimber 300 shortmag this summer. Hard to find. 2 year waiting list. Don't know if I can give up my trusty 30 year old Rem 700. Its a part of me ya know? Just felt like I needed to upgrade. Buy one more gun to last the rest of my career. I know that's a whole diff subject. Missed a mulie last year with my Rem. Just flatout misjudged the distance. Got caught without my rangefinder. TeddyBear blew it! Learned a lesson though. Seems like life is chucked full of lessons.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hey Teddy, are you a Yooper hey?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Sooo weird, I hunted region H this year and ran into Kyle Lash.... Nice fella but he didn't know what unit he was in and I had to help him out! Guess he had just got there!! By the way the guys telling you about Unit 82 are spot on! I've seen monsters over there!
    See ya on the ridge top!...... By.