Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 26 Times in 6 Posts

SE Montana weather and rut?

Headed out Friday for SE Montana, got access to a private ranch thats had minimal pressure.

This will be my first time hunting Mid Nov muleys and my first time ever hunting them with daytime high temps barely in the 20's for a week solid! Burr is all I can say...

Has anyone seen any rutting activity in that area?

What about these super cold temps, are they going to hinder the deer movement or really get them up and going?

I am super stocked about this hunt, it is me and my 71 year old granddad. After many years of begging him to go out West with me I finally convinced him this year. I am really hoping to stumble across a love sick mature muley that is within range for my granddad.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I think you might have timed the rut pretty well. This past weekend the deer seemed to be really hitting it hard. They were bunching up the week before that, but this week they were in the thick of it I think. I guess I am close to the same area, so it is probably the same. I am not sure how the weather will affect the movement. Well good luck. The cold is kindof yucky. Last year when it got cold, it stayed cold for like a month. Hopefully that isn't the case this time.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Againstthewind For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks, I will be hunting close to Ekalaka.

I know they got about 3" of snow last weekend, Im sure it will still be there this weekend...might be ice by then though!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 35 Times in 2 Posts
    The rutting activity should be about as good as it'll get. I've hunted SE MT for years and I believe the 15th-25th are the best rut dates for mule deer. This cold weather should definitely get the deer moving more during the day. Good luck!
    I recognized long ago that if I have a warehouse full of guns, but no public land or public wildlife, I have nothing!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ceby7 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by ceby7 View Post
    The rutting activity should be about as good as it'll get. I've hunted SE MT for years and I believe the 15th-25th are the best rut dates for mule deer. This cold weather should definitely get the deer moving more during the day. Good luck!
    We arrive on the 15th and plan to hunt until the 21st if needed, so thats a plus!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 9 Times in 1 Post
    I'm pointing the truck towards the same area on Monday. Can't wait!

Start hunting the 19th and we can stay until the 28th if we need to. Love hunting in cold weather. Hope we get some fresh snow while we are there.

Good luck and stay safe if it gets real cold out there.

It's go time!