Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 136

Thread: wyoming a crock

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

    wyoming a crock

    Just got back from Wyoming Mule Deer hunt. Lessons learned! Most of the deer are on private property. Most game wardens and biologists feed you a cockamainy story. Deer numbers are down. Sometimes the hunters that work the hardest get skunked, while "hunters" that road hunt tag out. All in all im willing to give the state more of my hard earned money to give it one more try...any suggestions out there?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Laramie WY
    Posts
    641
    Thanks
    94
    Thanked 111 Times in 88 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 15 Times in 3 Posts
    First of all, sorry about your hunt. It is true deer numbers are down all over on public land. Where did you hunt this year? What type of terrain do you like to hunt? Do you have any points? I'll be happy to help, just need a few more details.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Dolores, Colorado
    Posts
    2,590
    Thanks
    176
    Thanked 431 Times in 324 Posts
    Congratulations
    18
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ssliger View Post
    First of all, sorry about your hunt. It is true deer numbers are down all over on public land. Where did you hunt this year? What type of terrain do you like to hunt? Do you have any points? I'll be happy to help, just need a few more details.
    Same here....more details please.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ssliger View Post
    First of all, sorry about your hunt. It is true deer numbers are down all over on public land. Where did you hunt this year? What type of terrain do you like to hunt? Do you have any points? I'll be happy to help, just need a few more details.
    After many hours of phone calls we chose the kaycee area. Always same result. Hunt hard all day, come back to truck and watch mulie shooters looking at us from other side of road on private property. I told my sons, "There's something wrong here". After landowner treated you like dirt for just glassing THEIR deer,they said we could hunt that property for $4500. We talked to local Game Wardens who said they saw a deer the other day in such and such a place, "You may want to look there". Have these people flipped. These people deserve 0 electoral votes. We then shot up to Amsden creek in the Dayton area, only to find the sameole, sameole. Deer on private property. We bellycrawled 200 yards to find those deer 100 yds on....yep you quessed it, private property. Dont mean to sound like a whinner, and God sure has been good to me but, come on Wyoming...help on non-resident hunters out

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ssliger View Post
    First of all, sorry about your hunt. It is true deer numbers are down all over on public land. Where did you hunt this year? What type of terrain do you like to hunt? Do you have any points? I'll be happy to help, just need a few more details.
    Hey SSliger, have any advice for TeddyBear from Michigan, still looking for a place in Wyoming to connect on a decent Mule Deer. Two years ago me and my 4 sons started an annual hunting trip each fall. We had a lot of fun so far but would like to see more deer. Any help would be appreciated.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Laramie WY
    Posts
    641
    Thanks
    94
    Thanked 111 Times in 88 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 15 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TeddyBear View Post
    Hey SSliger, have any advice for TeddyBear from Michigan, still looking for a place in Wyoming to connect on a decent Mule Deer. Two years ago me and my 4 sons started an annual hunting trip each fall. We had a lot of fun so far but would like to see more deer. Any help would be appreciated.
    I'll send you a PM when I get off work tonight. I have some ideas for you

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Posts
    290
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked 65 Times in 49 Posts
    Congratulations
    2
    Congratulated 7 Times in 1 Post
    My son and I where in your area during the bow season. I had a Elk tag and bought my son a deer tag. Game Warden stopped at our camp on the second day and was very friendly and helped point us in the right direction. I was able to take a nice Bull and my son had close encounters with some Muley bucks but didnt connect. Would do this hunt in a heartbeat again, and I contacted the Warden when we where done and told him "Thanks"

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Don K View Post
    My son and I where in your area during the bow season. I had a Elk tag and bought my son a deer tag. Game Warden stopped at our camp on the second day and was very friendly and helped point us in the right direction. I was able to take a nice Bull and my son had close encounters with some Muley bucks but didnt connect. Would do this hunt in a heartbeat again, and I contacted the Warden when we where done and told him "Thanks"
    Congratulations! I talked all summer to a warden named Kyle Lash. Super friendly kid who went out of his way to return my calls and pour over maps with me. Unfortunately he moved to the Jackson Hole area in Sept. His replacement was new and I took that into consideration. I did talk to a more seasoned Warden that I believe could have given me more than just GENERAL information. A young female Biologist told me to sit in my truck and watch an open field. She said she saw deer there 3 weeks ago. WOW!. (Does and one small buck). We are not road hunters, and we are in tiptop shape, not afraid to go over the next ridge. The people of Wyoming are very friendly, I just wish they would help more considering the money that 4 of us spent. Gas,lodging,tag fees.food,etc.$4000 plus, not including loss wages. Regardless, we are looking forward to next season.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    N.E. LA
    Posts
    130
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
    Congratulations
    1
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I just returned from my first WY deer hunt. We, 2 of us, drove 1500+ miles from Louisiana to the Big Horns. Neither of us killed a deer, but we had a great time and we are planning our return next year.

    1) The biologist for Region R has been great to deal with. His name is Tom and I have spoken with him several times on the phone over the past year. We actually met him up on the mountain and had a good visit with him. He is a great guy. I also spoke with the game warden on the phone a few times and he was very helpful and super nice and generous with his time.

    2) There is a lot of pressure on public land. There are ATVs everywhere. That is just part of public land hunting unless you are willing to hike into areas that you know are going to cause your body misery.

    3) There are deer on public land but I think they are true survivors. We were watching 2 forked horns and a spike along with several does our first afternoon glassing. These bucks were in a spot where a stalk and a shot would have been likely. We didn't even give it a second thought because we wanted to shoot a decent 4X4. On day 2, I saw a nice 4X4 that looked to be pretty good. His inside spread appeared to be wider than his ears, but he was about 1 mile away. I only saw this deer for a total of about 30 seconds. That was the last buck we saw. I think the continued pressure, along with our weather turning bad (50-100 yards visibility) had an impact on our deer sightings. Hindsight being 20/20, I still don't regret not trying to kill one of those forked horns on day 1.

    4) We had to adapt. The early snow that dumped in the Big Horns prevented us from getting to our planned camp area so we had to camp lower and ride our ATVs into the area that we wanted to hunt. This made things much tougher. Also, we had to hunt lower when the weather turned bad up high. We found some areas that had good sign and we hiked into areas that we can eliminate for next year.

    5) Lessons don't come cheap. I feel like I will be 100X more prepared for my next hunt (hopefully next year). Not taking a deer this year really didn't bother me at all. I learned a lot about the area and we took notes on what worked well this year and what we need to adjust for next year.

    I can't wait for next year.

    TeddyBear, I hope you have a better experience next time.

    Good Luck
    Last edited by LaHunter; 11-04-2013 at 02:10 PM.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LaHunter View Post
    I just returned from my first WY deer hunt. We, 2 of us, drove 1500+ miles from Louisiana to the Big Horns. Neither of us killed a deer, but we had a great time and we are planning our return next year.

    1) The biologist for Region R has been great to deal with. His name is Tom and I have spoken with him several times on the phone over the past year. We actually met him up on the mountain and had a good visit with him. He is a great guy. I also spoke with the game warden on the phone a few times and he was very helpful and super nice and generous with his time.

    2) There is a lot of pressure on public land. There are ATVs everywhere. That is just part of public land hunting unless you are willing to hike into areas that you know are going to cause your body misery.

    3) There are deer on public land but I think they are true survivors. We were watching 2 forked horns and a spike along with several does our first afternoon glassing. These bucks were in a spot where a stalk and a shot would have been likely. We didn't even give it a second thought because we wanted to shoot a decent 4X4. On day 2, I saw a nice 4X4 that looked to be pretty good. His inside spread appeared to be wider than his ears, but he was about 1 mile away. I only saw this deer for a total of about 30 seconds. That was the last buck we saw. I think the continued pressure, along with our weather turning bad (50-100 yards visibility) had an impact on our deer sightings. Hindsight being 20/20, I still don't regret not trying to kill one of those forked horns on day 1.

    4) We had to adapt. The early snow that dumped in the Big Horns prevented us from getting to our planned camp area so we had to camp lower and ride our ATVs into the area that we wanted to hunt. This made things much tougher. Also, we had to hunt lower when the weather turned bad up high. We found some areas that had good sign and we hiked into areas that we can eliminate for next year.

    5) Lessons don't come cheap. I feel like I will be 100X more prepared for my next hunt (hopefully next year). Not taking a deer this year really didn't bother me at all. I learned a lot about the area and we took notes on what worked well this year and what we need to adjust for next year.

    I can't wait for next year.

    TeddyBear, I hope you have a better experience next time.

    Good Luck
    Hey LaHunter, great post. I have not had much time for this forum as of late. Just blew out a 97 hour work week. I will do this for 6 straight weeks, visit the altar on Sunday, ask God to forgive me for working so many hours. After I burn out and take a week off I will repeat this process. Gotta pay for that next hunting trip somehow. I also learned a lot from not pulling the trigger this season in Wyoming. Maps are nice, Google Earth is nice, Internet sites and magazine articles are nice, but nothing beats a good "Hook-up". A landowner, rancher, town drunk for that matter. Someone willing to give you the inside scoop on where those mulies really are. Someone who has hunted there for 15 years. I guess my problem is I don't put the effort into hunting like some of you fellas. Long work weeks, 7 children, church activities, corvettes and mustangs to restore, softball tournaments..............and the list goes on. Maybe I'm looking for a shortcut that just isn't there. Regardless, I have really enjoyed all the feedback. You are all a great bunch of guys. I had no idea my original post would ruffle so many feathers. It was simply a 4 or 5 line thought as a result of my hunt. For those who only weeded out the negatives, please remember, I did mention some blessings.....Got to spend time with 3 of my sons, stopped in Nebraska and took my granddaughters shopping, saw some beautiful country, laughed a lot (boy did we laugh a lot), watched my son make a shot on a muledeer that would make Roy Rogers jealous, got away from work!, and had safety on the roads. Also, I may have a CONNECTION In the Thermopolis area. Found out that a co-worker hunted in Dubois? Anyone out there willing to give me just a teeny tiny itsy bitsy bit of info on these areas? This TeddyBears going back into hibernation!

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •