Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: wyoming a crock

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

wyoming a crock

Just got back from Wyoming Mule Deer hunt. Lessons learned! Most of the deer are on private property. Most game wardens and biologists feed you a cockamainy story. Deer numbers are down. Sometimes the hunters that work the hardest get skunked, while "hunters" that road hunt tag out. All in all im willing to give the state more of my hard earned money to give it one more try...any suggestions out there?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    First of all, sorry about your hunt. It is true deer numbers are down all over on public land. Where did you hunt this year? What type of terrain do you like to hunt? Do you have any points? I'll be happy to help, just need a few more details.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by ssliger View Post
    First of all, sorry about your hunt. It is true deer numbers are down all over on public land. Where did you hunt this year? What type of terrain do you like to hunt? Do you have any points? I'll be happy to help, just need a few more details.
    Same here....more details please.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    After many hours of phone calls we chose the kaycee area. Always same result. Hunt hard all day, come back to truck and watch mulie shooters looking at us from other side of road on private property. I told my sons, "There's something wrong here". After landowner treated you like dirt for just glassing THEIR deer,they said we could hunt that property for $4500. We talked to local Game Wardens who said they saw a deer the other day in such and such a place, "You may want to look there". Have these people flipped. These people deserve 0 electoral votes. We then shot up to Amsden creek in the Dayton area, only to find the sameole, sameole. Deer on private property. We bellycrawled 200 yards to find those deer 100 yds on....yep you quessed it, private property. Dont mean to sound like a whinner, and God sure has been good to me but, come on Wyoming...help on non-resident hunters out

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm just guessing, but by the narrative you gave and the distances there are between Kaycee and Dayton, you must have had a Region Y tag. I looked at the Wyo Booklet and almost all the units in region Y are noted with an *with indicates "Areas with difficult public access". looks like some more research is in order. I try to stay away from these areas. Another thing I've found out over the years, ranches that let you hunt for antelope, keep their deer hunting a lot more private.

Sorry you had such a negative experience. Get you points and get a better unit.
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 10-24-2013 at 02:23 PM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm going to be blunt. Clearly you did not do enough research, the area is easy to draw yes but nearly every unit in that region says there is difficult public access. Most of the public land there is in very small sections that most of the time either have hunters there already or just is not a good place for deer to be. Hunting mule deer is not always about how hard you hunt it's more about how smart you hunt. If you want a good quality hunt in Wyoming build your points draw a good unit. Asking for information on this forum will get you a long way there are a lot of people willing to give advice. Do your research, ask questions and hunt smart.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for responding. I love bluntness. Its not that I lacked research, its just that I took for granted the idea that Wyoming had deer on public hunting grounds. What units could I find this to be true. I arrived back home 72 hours ago and im right back at it trying to find viable information for next year. P.S the trip was not without rewards. I spent time with 3 of my sons. Got away from the rathole that I work at, (state prison) and got to spend a day with my beautiful granddaughters. Saw some awesome country, met fellow hunters, and had safety on the roads.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hey Colorado Cowboy, thanks for responding. What would you consider a better unit? We did purchase a preference point for Goats. After we conquer a mulie we will tackle the Antelope.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I happen to like region E & W in the south central part of the state. My favorite unit there takes the max points (7) and is still only a 25% draw. I used to hunt all these units when there was no points and getting a tag was easy. You should also buy thre point for deer. I really stay away from any unit (for deer, elk & antelope) that has that damn asstrick by the unit. (spelled that way on purpose)
    Colorado Cowboy
    Aldous Huxley

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hey SSliger, have any advice for TeddyBear from Michigan, still looking for a place in Wyoming to connect on a decent Mule Deer. Two years ago me and my 4 sons started an annual hunting trip each fall. We had a lot of fun so far but would like to see more deer. Any help would be appreciated.