Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: wyoming a crock

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TeddyBear View Post
    Hey SSliger, have any advice for TeddyBear from Michigan, still looking for a place in Wyoming to connect on a decent Mule Deer. Two years ago me and my 4 sons started an annual hunting trip each fall. We had a lot of fun so far but would like to see more deer. Any help would be appreciated.
    I'll send you a PM when I get off work tonight. I have some ideas for you

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My son and I where in your area during the bow season. I had a Elk tag and bought my son a deer tag. Game Warden stopped at our camp on the second day and was very friendly and helped point us in the right direction. I was able to take a nice Bull and my son had close encounters with some Muley bucks but didnt connect. Would do this hunt in a heartbeat again, and I contacted the Warden when we where done and told him "Thanks"

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Don K View Post
    My son and I where in your area during the bow season. I had a Elk tag and bought my son a deer tag. Game Warden stopped at our camp on the second day and was very friendly and helped point us in the right direction. I was able to take a nice Bull and my son had close encounters with some Muley bucks but didnt connect. Would do this hunt in a heartbeat again, and I contacted the Warden when we where done and told him "Thanks"
    Congratulations! I talked all summer to a warden named Kyle Lash. Super friendly kid who went out of his way to return my calls and pour over maps with me. Unfortunately he moved to the Jackson Hole area in Sept. His replacement was new and I took that into consideration. I did talk to a more seasoned Warden that I believe could have given me more than just GENERAL information. A young female Biologist told me to sit in my truck and watch an open field. She said she saw deer there 3 weeks ago. WOW!. (Does and one small buck). We are not road hunters, and we are in tiptop shape, not afraid to go over the next ridge. The people of Wyoming are very friendly, I just wish they would help more considering the money that 4 of us spent. Gas,lodging,tag fees.food,etc.$4000 plus, not including loss wages. Regardless, we are looking forward to next season.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    As we all know or find out with trial and error we all have to do our research. It seems you've done quite a bit but ended up with a bad deal. I thought I had done my research a few times in Idaho and continued to get burned. Now with the forum going and many guys here able to help with great info and the MRS I bet you will do better next time.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    PM sent Teddybear

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Most areas in WY that are easy to draw will have difficult access to public land. IMO you either have to build some points to draw an area with better access, find private land to hunt, or do your research in areas that are easy to draw and not be disappointed when the hunting on public land in them is tough. Im sure there is good hunting on public land in these areas but you really have to get to know the area to find it. I have personally had a great experience with landowners and game wardens in WY and the ones I have met have been very nice to me!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Teddybear,

I agree with CC, I would look at unit W & concentrate on unit 82. You can draw with 0 points. They cut the season from 10/1-10/15 to 10/1-10/7 & made a 3-point restricton on one antler a few years ago. It has a ton of public ground, you would not be disappointed there.
    "Only two people have died for You and I, The American Soldier died for Our Freedom & Jesus Christ Died for Our Souls!" I thank GOD for them! GOD BLESS AMERICA!

NRA Life Member

Thanks
    Congratulations
    i too have had frustration on public lands in Wyoming. Especially when a landowner owns like 100 yards of a road that leads to about 4 square miles of public, and his 100 yards greatly restricts access. we also ran into a "private road" that shows on the gazettre as a county highway.........the road is maintained by the country, roads signs by the county, and is taken care of by the county.........yet 2 certain ranches got their way and made it a private road. its a crock. Some of the land rules / landowner stuff in Wyoming is pretty crazy, and many ranchers seem to have a bad attitude to them...........but there are many good people too. Met some energy company guys that would have given their shirt off their back for you. and met a couple of ranchers too that were darn good people. So you cant generalize.

Don't know what to tell you. My group has hunted region C the last 3 years, 100% public, 100% DIY. We put anywhere b/w 8-12 miles a day on foot, and over the last 3 years we had 17 total tags and we shot 12 mule deer bucks, biggest a respectable 145" 5x5. and of the 5 unfilled tags, 3 people missed deer, and 2 others passed on smaller bucks. So we really could/should have been 17 for 17.

none of the bucks are big.............seen some good ones, but they did find those small pockets of private land tucked in the public.

as for sightings..........I saw over 100 mules deer on day 1 of my hunt this year. only 4 bucks though.

I think you just need to look at new areas. I like to hunt every year......so building up points for a deer is not my thing (elk is a different story).......so there are places to go. Just temper your expectations, looks for larger chunks of land, get off the roads, hunt during the week, travel on weekends, and don't be afraid to scrap the spot and stalk and get into the canyons/ditches. Hunt them like rabbits if you have to. Public land bucks get hunted hard. and the ones that sit out in the open to be spot and stalked get killed on opening weekend.

Good luck next fall! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0304.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	6894Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0279 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	6895Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0337.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	6896Click image for larger version. 

Name:	adam pic.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	6897

Thanks
    Congratulations
    few more. Not doing this to brag........showing you pics to give you some hope that there are deer out there on public land! Just gotta dig deeper...................Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Powder River # 13.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	6898

not familiar with the kaycee area. I know there are areas in the SE Wyoming area (medicine bowe)........might be some areas in the bighorns that have places to hunt every year with no PP's. there are a few walk-in, BLM, school lands in NE Wyoming, but access is very hard. The area we hunt gets hunted HARD and has a lot of road traffic. It is tough hunting. But we have done pretty well. I will decline to mention exactly where I hunt....sorry....hunting pressure is bad enough as it is, but there are other places too I have looked into closer too. Just keep looking.

I don't have much more advice to you. Just keep researching, keep positive, and don't give up!
    Last edited by Ilovethewest; 10-24-2013 at 08:47 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Good advice!
    "Only two people have died for You and I, The American Soldier died for Our Freedom & Jesus Christ Died for Our Souls!" I thank GOD for them! GOD BLESS AMERICA!

NRA Life Member