Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: wyoming a crock

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    "Just got back from Wyoming Mule Deer hunt. Lessons learned! Most of the deer are on private property. Most game wardens and biologists feed you a cockamainy story. Deer numbers are down. Sometimes the hunters that work the hardest get skunked, while "hunters" that road hunt tag out. All in all im willing to give the state more of my hard earned money to give it one more try...any suggestions out there?"

Your blaming other people (and an entire state) for your bad hunt. There's not a lot of help I can give you in that case. If all my buddies blamed me for not harvesting a critter over the years I'd have a lot more enemies.

Mule deer hunting is tough right now. Guys who do well fall into a few categories: 1) pure dumb luck 2) access to private land 3)lots of hard work and scouting. The only two categories you can control are 2&3. you've said #2 is out because of the cost, so your down to #3.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by HiMtnHnter View Post
    "Just got back from Wyoming Mule Deer hunt. Lessons learned! Most of the deer are on private property. Most game wardens and biologists feed you a cockamainy story. Deer numbers are down. Sometimes the hunters that work the hardest get skunked, while "hunters" that road hunt tag out. All in all im willing to give the state more of my hard earned money to give it one more try...any suggestions out there?"

Your blaming other people (and an entire state) for your bad hunt. There's not a lot of help I can give you in that case. If all my buddies blamed me for not harvesting a critter over the years I'd have a lot more enemies.

Mule deer hunting is tough right now. Guys who do well fall into a few categories: 1) pure dumb luck 2) access to private land 3)lots of hard work and scouting. The only two categories you can control are 2&3. you've said #2 is out because of the cost, so your down to #3.
    You need to read my posts again! Nowhere do I blame anyone for a "Bad" hunt. I simply stated some lessons and thoughts from my hunting experience. I just think that the state of Wyoming could do more to help out non-resident hunters. The Eastmans themselves have stated on this very website that the state has mismanaged the mule deer population. Sell tags, sell tags, sell tags. That idea has finally caught up with them. I posted the positives of my hunt, but would like to pull the trigger on my 300 win mag once in awhile too.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by TeddyBear View Post
    You need to read my posts again! Nowhere do I blame anyone for a "Bad" hunt. I simply stated some lessons and thoughts from my hunting experience. I just think that the state of Wyoming could do more to help out non-resident hunters. The Eastmans themselves have stated on this very website that the state has mismanaged the mule deer population. Sell tags, sell tags, sell tags. That idea has finally caught up with them. I posted the positives of my hunt, but would like to pull the trigger on my 300 win mag once in awhile too.
    Title of Thread: "Wyoming a crock" (some of us live in Wyoming actually like it)
    You said: "Most game wardens and biologists feed you a cockamainy story." Sounds like you're blaming biologists and game wardens for at least part of your bad time.

Maybe I'm just not used to your style of whining.

You applied for an area with tons of tags and tons of private land and your surprised you did not find the big one. Don't do that again?

Again, not sure how else to help you. It appears as though a bunch of guys on here are going to try though. . .

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the positive post. My parents used to live in Oshkosh. I appreciate you taking the time to give me some good info and ideas. Im glad that you have had great hunting success. I believe this forum should be about understanding and helping others in our hunting endeavors. I have been hunting enough years to know that in 30 seconds your whole hunt could change. It just didn't happen this year.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    And I truly appreciate those "bunch of guys". It sounds like they are really trying to HELP, not just make smart remarks about my posts. Don't need that kind of help. I deal with that attitude enough at work. (Largest prison in Michigan, 2500 losers) God Bless!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 2 Posts
    teddy bear

sorry to say your post started the attitude. If you read it from a western perspective, it is very negative.
    with that said, generally easy land to hunt is private and very tough rugged land is public. you might need to look at some areas that have lots of national forest. Tougher hunting, but you can roam for miles.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post
    teddy bear

sorry to say your post started the attitude. If you read it from a western perspective, it is very negative.
    with that said, generally easy land to hunt is private and very tough rugged land is public. you might need to look at some areas that have lots of national forest. Tougher hunting, but you can roam for miles.
    Tim my man, I think you are on to something. From my experience, Hunters in the East go out of their way to help you have a successful hunt. I have given fellow hunters my own personal hunting blind so that they will have a memorable hunt. People have shot 150 class bucks off my property and I have been ecstatic for them. Hunters in the West are tight lipped with hunting information. They believe that hunters must learn for themselves like they had to. I had a friend that moved to Montana that couldn't even get his closest friends from church to budge regarding any hunting help. That to me is a BAD attitude. People truly are different in other parts of this great country. Those that are willing to help are like the mule deer in Wyoming, few and far between, but they are there and I will keep looking! Wyoming has not seen the last of me. I think I offended some Wyoming residents with my O electoral votes comment for which I officially apologize.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 2 Posts
    teddy

you are correct in that eastern hunting generally speaking seems to be more of a social thing. Where some people out here see it as a measure of a man. To be honest I am not sure where I sit with that one. I have let people on my property to shoot does after I am done. So maybe I am what you are describing. But we are are more self sufficient and feel that folks should do there own homework, scouting, learning the ropes. So yes it is vastly different between the 2 schools of thought. And no tellum creek which runs thru non of your business drainages is where most game animals are shot out here.

There is about 5 of us that are all solo hunters but we have our own little contest. no of us will take our friends to our spot. but we are always comparing results, just not areas. definitely different dynamics than it sounds like you are used to. but now you know where not to go, which is just as important as where to go.

I have a pretty decent elk spot, and a great deer spot, the deer spot is my yard and I am looking for a better expierence. so I will be out trying to figure where to go for nice bucks. Last week I wrote one area off. I am curious if this weekend, if I find a good area, or one to not go back to. either way it will be successful and will allow a better hunt next time. Unfortunately I have a feeling you will be doing more of that for a couple of years, until you figure out which area has the best combo of what you want in a hunt.

we will give you the shirt off of our back, the last meal we have, but no way will we say which drainage to hunt in. Priorities my man, priorities. Besides, we don't have the deer densities that back east has. Heck Idaho only allows you one deer a year, and new jersey probably allows 10.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 33 Times in 2 Posts
    Colorado boasts the most Boone and Crockett entries for mule deer period, that doesn't mean that every unit has a bunch running around. Public land mule deer hunting is tough. Hell I know my area well and I still put at least 40 miles on my boots over 8 or 9 days. Try to find a unit with rough terrain and lots of public land. Those two variables equals less people and bigger deer. You have to know that the Game and Fish Departments are trying to sell tags so they talk up their states. Keep at it learn a unit over 2 or 3 years and success will come.
    A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.
    Shoot the best, Shoot PSE!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TeddyBear View Post
    Hunters in the West are tight lipped with hunting information. They believe that hunters must learn for themselves like they had to. I had a friend that moved to Montana that couldn't even get his closest friends from church to budge regarding any hunting help. That to me is a BAD attitude. People truly are different in other parts of this great country. Those that are willing to help are like the mule deer in Wyoming, few and far between.
    There are alot of western hunters that are willing to help, but exact areas are something completely different. What happens is you share your spot it took you years to find with someone, then they tell their friends and their friends tell their friends and in a few years the place you found that was good hunting and you had pretty much to yourself now has 30 hunters in it and very few animals. You can get alot of advise, ideas, and general info from other hunters and biologists but when it comes down to it you have to get to know the area for yourself and find an area you like. No one is going to hand it all to you. Its just part of western hunting and part of the excitement of hunting to me. Talking to the biologists is a good place to start but keep in mind they also told 100's of other hunters the same things they told you and you cant expect them to give you an exact spot to find a buck. I dont agree that you researched it well. Its pretty easy to see just from my benchmark map that the Kaycee area is mostly private land and when you were in the Dayton area you were right next to a whole unit thats almost all national forest and you would of had no issues with private land and if I were hunting region Y it is definitely where I would be starting at. Your first posts were pretty negative and it sounded like you were blaming everyone else and its really not the way to ask for help if thats what you wanted.