Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: wyoming a crock

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I totally agree with teddy bear on the description of biologists and wardens. They are at best cold and sarcastic with out of staters. I'm in New Mexico hunting right now and I'm running into a simular situation. You just have to do your homework and use your own know how to achieve sucess. I dont think he was saying anything bad about the sportsmen of wyoming rather blaming the high priced landowners that did nothing to earn the trophies that reside on their property but inherit it from parents and grandparents that busted their butt to earn it

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swampokie View Post
    I totally agree with teddy bear on the description of biologists and wardens. They are at best cold and sarcastic with out of staters. I'm in New Mexico hunting right now and I'm running into a simular situation. You just have to do your homework and use your own know how to achieve sucess. I dont think he was saying anything bad about the sportsmen of wyoming rather blaming the high priced landowners that did nothing to earn the trophies that reside on their property but inherit it from parents and grandparents that busted their butt to earn it
    The biologists and wardens I have met and talked to have been very nice and helpful. How is it the landowners fault or why would he be to blame that the deer are on his property? They are most likely on his property because there is better feed on it, they are not being pressured there or both. I dont see how they have done nothing and what does it matter if they inherited it or not? I bet the guy that ownes it worked on it and busted his butt there his whole life and ranching is not easy these days. It is up to him if he wants to let anyone hunt on his property and what he wants to charge to hunt it. The ranchers I have met have been very nice to me as well. I have even been invited to hunt when I wasnt even looking for a place to hunt. Im not trying to start a fight here, just my opinion and experience.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I agree with MM about the biologist and wardens. I've hunted multiple western states over the last 15 years. Wyoming has the best field officers I've encoutered. I'm partial to Wyoming, it is where I cut my teeth western hunting. There is a bunch of good guys on this forum. Lots of knowledge, just be respectful & treat people like you would like to be treated! I apply for about 50 hunts over 8 states & draw 2 or 3 a year. If I'm going to spend the $ it's going to be worth it! I also run cattle & it is tough these days to make money on them with the price of deisel, fertilizer, feed, hay, ect.......... Good luck & if there is anything I can help out with just ask.

God Bless!
    "Only two people have died for You and I, The American Soldier died for Our Freedom & Jesus Christ Died for Our Souls!" I thank GOD for them! GOD BLESS AMERICA!

NRA Life Member

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Hey Swampokie,

You going out with a smoke pole in the morning? Got mine ready to rock & roll!
    "Only two people have died for You and I, The American Soldier died for Our Freedom & Jesus Christ Died for Our Souls!" I thank GOD for them! GOD BLESS AMERICA!

NRA Life Member

Thanks
    Congratulations
    No smokepole this morn. 300 rum. Opening morn of my nm deer hunt! I will however be back in time to hunt the last weekend of pole season. Good luck to you this morn!

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by swampokie View Post
    Hey Swampokie, thanks for your mature response! Some of these people go overboard on reading into my thoughts something that doesn't exist. I used to have a girlfriend like that. Dumped her 30 years ago. Best move I ever made. Just got my new Eastmans Hunting Journal today. Going to browse over it while waiting for the World Series to start. Looks like some great articles. Once again thanks.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Deer numbers are down in parts of Wyoming. Look into some of the green chip areas that don't take lots of points, but have a good amount of public land or walk in areas. I've been through it also. Started in 95 in Hulett and felt the same way. Pay attention to the MRS section of eastmans, it's not perfect but it's a good starting point

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 10 Posts
    Good luck to all! I will be done with this thread now. I have offered my advise and even pointed out a unit thats nearly 100% public land in the region you hunted but I expect I am 1 of those people that is going overboard reading into your thoughts.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have a close friend who is a warden. I think he does a good job helping hunters. But I can see his point of getting burned out with people calling for information. He's always quick to point out, its part of job. However he says at times its non stop calls with guys who do no homework, know nothing about the areas except what they read on the net or saw in a magazine and then they expect him to send them to a trophy animal. I know I'd get pretty callous and fed up after listening to some of his stories...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Western big game hunters have spent years finding their hunting spots, and most are "fragile" meaning they can't handle much pressure before the game is pushed out. Don't expect to get on a western big game forum and have somebody tell you a specific area to hunt and have success. The game is spread out over a much larger area in western states than eastern, and it takes a lot more effort to have success. Hunting the west is a totally different game but it sounds like you have the motivation to make it happen. I'd say for most of us there was much struggle and frustration before there was success, and even after success there will be more struggles and frustration....but that's what makes it hunting. Good luck and hunt smart.
    Last edited by wapiti66; 10-26-2013 at 09:31 PM.