Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: wyoming a crock

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Umpqua, sounds like you need to write a book on 'How To Hunt Western Mulies'. I would actually consider buying it! I always get the autographed edition. You never know.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    Teddybear,

I don't have many Wyoming credentials, but I have had some success in neighboring MT.

My advice:

1. Find a unit you can draw often: Every year or every other year.
    2. Make sure this unit has large amounts of public land.
    3. Lace up your boots, and head into areas with cover, water, and feed away from the road system.
    4. Don't expect success.
    5. Enjoy your hunt!

6. Lay off the entitlement/whining/confrontational attitude.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    480/277, thanks for the advice. I like the second half of your post better than the first. I will admit, my line of work has changed my thought process and how I deal with people. Can a man walk through fire and not be burned? Regarding your suggestions..Google Earth, did it!....BLM maps, got em....Gps, bought it (garmin62stc)... Wyoming chip.YES. (Good advice from Game Warden Kyle Lash). Once again, thanks for you time, I'm already getting excited about next years hunt.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    BitterrootBulls, Those first 5 ideas are sweet. I understand #6. Its mans nature to take one last jab at a mans groin. Problem is, I will have mass murderers tell me all day what they will do to my mother and my dog when they break out, so a couple of verbal punches from my fellow hunters are nothing. I just told the preacher yesterday, I enjoyed most of his sermon. The part that he mentioned my sins, I could do without. We have also had some great hunts in the state on Montana. South of Miles City. Used to have relatives in Bozeman. Beautiful Country!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by TeddyBear View Post
    BitterrootBulls, Those first 5 ideas are sweet. I understand #6. Its mans nature to take one last jab at a mans groin. Problem is, I will have mass murderers tell me all day what they will do to my mother and my dog when they break out, so a couple of verbal punches from my fellow hunters are nothing.
    Teddybear,

You misunderstand. #6 was not a shot to the groin. It was absolutely genuine advice, and I think it could increase your chances of getting more help and information on western hunting. In fact, I separated it from the list to emphasize it as the most important, IMO.

I grew up near Bozeman myself, and agree it is a beautiful area.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Bitterroot Bulls, Back to your point #3.. when you say feed....feed meaning what? P.S, thanks for setting me straight on #6. My intentions have never been to sound whinny, or confrontational. I often forget that some people are more sensitive and delicate. I do need to work on my people skills. Confession is good for the soul, right?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Feed is what the animals eat.

It varies depending on species, and it pays to know that mule deer and elk don't prefer the same feed, for the most part. These areas of research will help you a great deal more than begging for hunting spots in the long run.

I did a DIY Alaskan hunt last year in totally new country. I spoke to Alaskan residents, biologists, game wardens, pilots, and much more without asking once for any specific spots, nor did I expect any. What I did research heavily was information for the rutting and migration activity of moose. I found an old study that identified the characteristics for good rutting terrain for moose. I applied this information to the area I went to, and it payed off for me.

I wouldn't worry too much about being sensitive and delicate. Most hunters out west I know don't really fit that mold, but I would emphasize being kind, polite, and appreciative.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bitterroot Bulls For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Ilovethewest. your posts have been the most helpful and for that I am eternally grateful. I think it proves my point that those east of Iowa are more willing to share quality information. Iv'e hunted Wisconsin whitetail and had a blast. Had to leave my rifle at home and get out the shotgun, but oh well. I believe that is one of my problems....I try to hunt mulies like they are whitetails. Here in Michigan we sit in our blinds and wait for them to come out of cornfields, or wait for hunters to push them around. My family has kept the local taxidermist busy over the years, but that kind of hunting doesn't quite work out west. Once again thanks for the info..... And both the Packers and Lions look good this year... Stay tuned

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Not quite sure how to take that first line. I must have dropped both gloves and exposed myself. I know what feed is, I meant more specifically, what do mule deer eat. In all my miles of foot travel saw lots of sagebrush. Nothing real appetizing. Last season we hunted irrigated fields and had some success with smaller bucks. It seems they had to come quite close to civilization. This was a last ditch effort to fill a tag. It did work but didn't feel much like hunting. If any big bucks were to use that field Im sure it be afterhours.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I really recommend Mike Eastman's recently released book on mule deer. I've hunted them for almost 60 years and shot somewhere around 60 or 70 of them. I learned a lot that I just took for granted that I knew. Well worth the $$$.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley