Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: wyoming a crock

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Interesting read fellas. I am new to the site and new to the west - 6 years in CO. I will be hunting WY soon - I have 3 points for antelope and 1 for deer. I have found both extremes in info sharing while hunting in CO -very helpful and very tightlipped. I agree that we all cant give out our honey holes as the pressure can ruin it. Also Grizz - CO has done a good job (I think) of managing their deer back from bad winter kills. Specific units and seasons limits pressure as much as possible, all draw. I will be hunting the gunnison area with the rifle this year and I have seen quite a few nice 4x4's while elk hunting.

I was going to pile up points for deer but a comment bout hunting an area freq. to get to know it makes more sense to me. Might apply in 2015 for a deer tag.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    There are definitely pros and cons to playing the point game out west. It really all depends on what you are looking to get out of your hunt. I am also new to this forum and was reading the initial spark if you will of this thread. Hunting is exactly that, hunting, and we all have different experiences based on many different factors including our experience level, research abilities, and willingness to hunt. I personally hunted deer in unit 82 with a Region W tag and had a phenomenal hunt. I took my dad, we came from out of state, never touched foot in Wyoming to hunt deer before and we ended up seeing right around 90 bucks in 9 days. A lot of research and we were literally ended up right in the middle of the bucks. It pays to learn an area by hunting it year after year but when you do your due diligence then follow it up with good old hard hunting which could actually be simply glassing for hours each day then you can have success in many ways and many different/states units. I have been very impressed with Wyoming their management practices and the accurate information their biologist and wardens have shared with me the last couple of years.

tim8121, nothing wrong with building points and nothing wrong with hunting the same place year after year, its all what you are looking to get out of it which drives all of our hunting desires/obsessions.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I think your first post pretty much hit the nail on the head Just DIY! Welcome to EF!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Looking forward to the great stories and info, thanks for the welcome Musket Man.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Just DIY - Just want a good fun hunt, see alot of critters, hopefully fill the tag. No holding out for B&C animals for me.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by tim81212 View Post
    Just DIY - Just want a good fun hunt, see alot of critters, hopefully fill the tag. No holding out for B&C animals for me.
    There are definitely plenty of options out there in multiple states that will fit your criteria. I would venture to say that Wyoming and Idaho are good opportunity states for hunt options as well as trophy potential. Both states have there units which are loaded with deer and some of those units don't take any points to draw and as far as Idaho it is a great "go to" or back up state as most tags are over the counter and they don't have a point system. PM me if you want to get more specific and I would be happy to hopefully answer any questions you have.